Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Poll: How do you perform your Windows updates?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 31, 2014 10:05 AM PDT
How do you perform your Windows updates?

-- I have it set to automatically update.
-- I have it set to notify me and I update it myself.
-- I update Windows manually on my own accord.
-- I have no idea.
-- You know me, I don't run Windows.

Is it bad to have Windows automatically do updates? Why or why not? Why do some people choose to update the system on their own? Is it safer or control thing?

Click here to vote in the poll and tell us how you go about doing your Windows updates.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How do you perform your Windows updates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How do you perform your Windows updates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Notify and update myself.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 31, 2014 10:23 AM PDT

This way I can wait a couple of days to see if problems arise from the updates.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
myself
by tedtks / October 31, 2014 11:33 AM PDT

I did the same. instead of updateing SP3 I bought the dvd from ms. its around someplace.hahaha
never put it on as there were too many comments on problems.
I looked thru all the updates it wanted to download and found that there was less and less
usable things to add/fix/update especially since they also tended to add other bloatware type
crap.
So - I cant even remember how long ago since I even bothered to look at their site
to see what was up. never had any problems that were not caused by myself. Happy

Collapse -
Recently ecovering from hack, things are..hinky.
by Darkskaar / October 6, 2015 10:50 AM PDT

Finally, got most of my stuff working like it was originally with my windows 8.1. However, I've been trying to update to Windows 10, but, my Windows Update has been disabled and it tells me that only system administrator can make changes, to get it back. But, I am the system administrator.

Collapse -
P.S.
by Darkskaar / October 6, 2015 10:53 AM PDT

Sorry, I forgot to preface this with " are you use Windows Update to automatically update" lol

Collapse -
The old discussion of admin, well....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2015 11:11 AM PDT

Try making a new admin user account. It can be called backupadmin and then you make sure it's admin capable. Then try it in that account. There is malware and damage that can break WU. But this old thread is not where I would start a discussion so far off topic.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.