Storage forum

General discussion

Poll: Has your SSD drive ever failed before?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 14, 2014 9:30 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Has your SSD drive ever failed before?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Has your SSD drive ever failed before?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One failure; had to reinstall OS and all programs
by Scott Gardener / November 14, 2014 11:09 AM PST

It happened about a year ago. It was a Crucial, well known for their stability and quality control, too. They suggested at first that it could have experienced power levels outside of its parameters and shut itself down, and suggested I try several cycles of steady power followed by shutting off. But, this failed to have any effect. They ended up replacing it under warranty at no cost other than mailing them the old, dead drive. (The new drive has not had problems.)

Since I could never get it to boot up, I could neither purge its contents nor retrieve them. Since I am already in the habit of multiple backups including cloud storage of all new files and periodic archiving, I did not lose any information that could not be replaced. I just had the tedious chore of re-installing the OS and each individual program, including calling Adobe about two programs that had to be activated over again, since I did not de-activate the lost installations. For that reason, I am adding periodic OS drive backups as well.

Collapse -
Hasn't failed yet, but I'm ready
by daddywalter / November 14, 2014 6:02 PM PST

I use an SSD as the boot drive in my desktop machine, and I love the speed it gives to Windows and my applications; I save data onto conventional HDDs. If the SSD dies I won't lose much, since I can always reinstall Windows and application programs from their original installation discs -- but that's a time-consuming pain, and then I still have to reconfigure all the software settings to my preferences. So I use multiple backup strategies, including a NAS in RAID1, a cloud-service and an alternating pair of external HDD clones for the boot drive -- one is always completely up to date, while the other is a slightly older backup that may not have the most recent software updates.

Of course, I have never actually had a drive failure in my thirty-or-so years of using computers; I've always upgraded to larger drives, or to new entire computers, before they had a chance to die. But with the enormous capacities of both SSDs and HDDs today, I may not need to upgrade my storage again before one or more of my current drives fail.

Collapse -
I've had mine for three years now
by Flatworm / November 15, 2014 12:10 AM PST

I installed an OCZ 128GB drive for my system and applications about three years ago (I keep my data on MUCH larger-capacity HDDs). I have monitored its health using the freeware Open Hardware Monitor since I first installed it. I hit it VERY hard, as some high-data-write applications I use nearly constantly write their temp files there.

For more than a year and a half, it remained perfect - 100.0% - according to the "Life Remaining" indicator shown in Open Hardware Monitor. Then I lost one percent, and about 8 months later dropped another percent. Just last week I lost another percent.

Now, these are built with excess capacity to compensate for when one of the NANDs fail, and the drive remains pretty healthy, but the increasing frequency of the losses are becoming a concern. I believe I will be replacing it within the next few months, which is not really a problem. The prices have fallen so drastically that I can get a TB drive for what this 128GB cost me when I got it (I think, however, I'll go with a 240GB.

But they go to read-only when they fail, and so the data should not be lost even if I procrastinate and leave it in for a little too long. One thing for sure, though: The performance advantage is so startling that I will never go back to running my system and apps off an HDD. I boot up Win 8.1 from stone cold in about seven seconds.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?