Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Poll: Has your Mac ever been infected by a virus?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Has your Mac ever been infected by a virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Has your Mac ever been infected by a virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not OS X

In reply to: Poll: Has your Mac ever been infected by a virus?

My experience with Macs goes back "to the beginning." JAN 84. In the bad old days, it used to be common for Macs to get a virus. Usually from a floppy that was used in a university Mac. But OS X changed that. All these years and all the updates... I've never once had a virus on one of my home OS X machines. And none of them have ever had any anti-virus software installed.

I understand that such things exist. But they don't seem to show up on the average home user's Mac.

Collapse -
Me Too!

In reply to: Not OS X

Yes, I had a Mac virus - Wayyy back. (It was "nVir" and traveled via floppy. I remember cleaning it with "ResEdit" - a system resource editor. Later there were utilities to do this.. At that time they were a novelty/curiosity - people almost wanted one!)

Like tulsamal, I havn't come across any on OSx but I'm not complacent and am definitely in the camp that having a Mac is not a guarantee of immunity...

Collapse -
Never infected

I have been a Mac user since the first Mac IIsi came out. I also have Macs at work and amy two daughters(ages 25+) used Macs in college and up to today. All also use iPhones and iPads. So far, none of us have ever gotten a viral infection. Nor has anyones credit cards or on line accounts been compromised. I still use caution but so far we have been free of nasties.

Not too shabby.

Collapse -
Virus? What is that? :P

I used to be a PC user since Win95. Used as well Win98, Win98 Plus, Vista, 2000 Professional, XP and the last Windows I used was Win7.

I remember having to reformat because of viruses, thought I used almost all the antiviruses suites, McAfee, Norton and some others I don't remember. Sometimes I used to get a virus that would damage the OS even if it got cleaned by the AV, it removes the virus with some essential windows files, and I end up with saggy and sluggish windows, which would drives me to reformat.

The last time I had a virus was wile using Win7. I was working on Photoshop for essential project when I got hit out of nowhere with a virus that forced me to reformat. It took me 11 hours to restore my machine to the way it used to be before the virus, windows update, with all the photography software I have, plugins, activations bla bla bla .. needless to say I missed my dead line.

At that point I had enough with Windows and its security issues, I decided to move Mac, I bought my first IMac in 2010, and I asked the same exact question, do I need an Antivirus, the agent told me there are currently 0 Mac active viruses, so no need for that, unless you want the peace of mind, but also it comes with a price, as any Antivirus will be scanning network and Internet connection none stop, take some resources and will slow your machine to a degree.

I ended up NOT installing any security software, and in 4 years never had a single problem. Never had a single virus. How do I know that for sure? well I use ''Parallel'' which is a software that allows you to install windows, as my work requires having windows7, and of course I share my work network via VPN to access share drives and resources. I remember couple of times my company got hit by a virus, and my Machine was the only one that didn't get infected, not sure how this happened, but they asked us to run a certain scan software to detect and fix the virus, my entire team was infected, and out of the 12 people, I was the only one who didn't get hit!

Now I have also a MacBook pro, no antivirus and also never a problem.

Something else .. when I used to be a Windows user, I used to get tons of spam. It seems after I moved to Mac, the amount of spam got down from few hundreds a week to maybe 10-20. I know it is not directly related to my OS, but it makes collecting my data harder via adwares and malwares.

Lastly, and not to blow my own horn, I used to work as a computer technician for a long time, I acquired some Microsoft certificates during my service, which were:
MCP: Microsoft Certified Professional.
MCSA: Microsoft Certified System Administrator.
MCSE: Microsoft Certified System Engineer.

The reason I am mentioning these certificates, is to simply demonstrate my PC knowledge, yet I had my own share of problems.

Finally, in 4 years using my Mac OS, I never had a security problem, the performance still amazing, I have to do 0 maintenance to my Machine, no scans, no defragmentation .. nothing, and it still feels like out of the box machine.

My 2 cents,
Cheers,

Collapse -
Virus - What is that?

In reply to: Virus? What is that? :P

While I don't have your cred, I agree whole heartedly. I've supported a lot of PC's and a fair number of Mac's. Same experience.

Most or all of the thumbs down in this subject is probably the Windows only users who just cannot comprehend that a machine can be stable and resistant to virus infections.

Collapse -
No Problem

I have owned a Mac since the Mac+. I have never, to my knowledge, had a virus. I have had protective software from time to time and have never found anything. I turned Norton antivirus off a couple of years ago because it slowed things down so much. I scanned the computer recently with ClamXva and it found nothing. And if found two phishing files after two years with no protection. I googled the file name and it seems that everyone who runs ClamXva finds the same thing. I have good friends who are Windows users who fight this stuff all the time. I can't say I'm terribly concerned about viruses.

Gordon

Collapse -
To the guy giving every one the Thump Down!

No need to hate .. you can get a Mac too, nowadays you can finance, or even get a refurbished one Happy

Collapse -
Two worlds

Iv'e been using Macs and PC's since the late 80's early 90's.

The Mac's have been stable - doubly so since OSX, and the PC's - not so much.

I've had a virus or two get through heavy AV protection on my Windows machines, and have yet to get one on bareback OSX.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a pretty good step in the right direction though - much less intrusive than N***** or Mc*****. I recommend MSE for any Windows PC I'm around

It isn't the tired old meme of security through obscurity, If that were true, there are plenty enough Macs out there to make for a nice army of zombified unprotected Macs.

Collapse -
I know some one who has!

I've been a Mac user for about 7 years now. I have never been infected with anything in that time. But, I do have a friend who is not safe on the internet. He has a tendency to click on everything he sees. He managed to click on a window that popped up stating his EXE. file had been corrupted, please click here to fix it. Red flag, red flag. If you practice good computing you probably won't get infected, but on the other hand if you are not computer savvy you stand a chance to be infected.

Collapse -
Well

In reply to: I know some one who has!

Your friend doesn't know that Macs do not use exe files?

Had to be a universal exploit to infect a Mac with something designed for PC users, or else someone detected the OS, and had two different viruses lieing in wait. Odd indeed

Collapse -
Apple and viruses

What does Apple say?

Collapse -
Yes!!

I did have this attack on my Mac and it was horrible. Lost so much of my data. I was over confident that Mac doesn't need an AV but learned my lesson. I now use Quick heal security for Mac. Its been working well for the past few months without any hitches.

Collapse -
Tell us more please

In reply to: Yes!!

Can you please tell us more about this attack, I am curious to know .. thanks in advance.

Collapse -
yes

Its pretty normal, the common misconception of malware free mac is just a misconception!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.