The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you still go to record/CD stores to buy music?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 3, 2013 8:23 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you still go to record/CD stores to buy music?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you still go to record/CD stores to buy music?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOVE shopping for music!
by kt27libra / December 3, 2013 9:18 AM PST

However, the only place near me is a Barnes & Noble, which does not have a very large selection. Downtown Denver does have at least one large store with physical CDs and LPs. I love browsing for music and coming across something I did not know about, or had forgotten about. Discovery!

I write software documentation, so after a day of working, staring at a computer screen to browse for tunes is unappealing. As is reading a newspaper. Sigh. But stories such as this one reassure me that what is old becomes new again.

Collapse -
Its good to be offline
by pkarirose / December 3, 2013 10:09 AM PST

I agree sometimes you just want to disconnect.

i also find that the battery usually dies on me in the middle of my book nothing more irritating than getting interrupted.

Thats the nice thing about physical media books don't need recharging and a stereo is always plugged in sure the power could go out but if it does i'm usually worried about other things than music or movies.

Collapse -
I still pay for music
by Sugith / December 3, 2013 9:40 AM PST

Unlike most, I still pay for music I like and I prefer physical media to rip at lossless. If there was a store like the one described with competitive pricing I'd definitely patronize it. But most music retail has only mainstream best seller selection and sullen staff which makes the experience less than fun. So I long ago went to online sources like Amazon.

Collapse -
think positive energy
by pkarirose / December 3, 2013 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: I still pay for music

its hard when you have been abused by 10 or 20 people during the day cause they are not happy for whatever reason often its not even your fault. But try smiling and thanking them you will usually get a better response and less sullen staff or even better they get you someone who knows their job or you complain and get a discount.

People usually go out of their way for customers that take the time to say thank you it doesn't always have to be a whole conversation
Call me silly but i prefer a real response not just some trite company line like "would you like some fries with that"( as long as its polite)
cause you say no and then they ask at least 2 more times cause its so practised they don't even hear themselves saying it.

Also most of the time the good staff get taken by people who will pay them more.

Collapse -
With you there..
by Hartiq / December 5, 2013 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: think positive energy

I've worked in the "customer service" side. I've had ladies so grateful for the fantastic help I gave them that they both wanted to have my baby and emailed my bosses telling them to keep me as I was a terrific asset and I have had sullen gits who get what they think they want [often what they need is close enough to temporarily satisfy them] and hang up. It is a truism that the happy ladies get better service next time. Not because they want to have my baby [and I still think that was hyperbolic] but because they were nice to talk to. I *wanted* to help everyone but it was easier to help the nice people. It wasn't such a struggle to help someone who appreciated it.
I am always nice to the guys and girls [and they usually are young] [compared to me, trilobites are] on the other side of the counter. It is a joy to see their faces light up when you're nice to them. And (Principle of Enlightened Self-Interest at work) they also help me more when I'm nice.
But the good staff don't always move on. Sometimes we find a good company and stay there. I did. They even sometimes managed to recognise their good staff and say "thank you". Once or twice. That's how I found out about the gushing emails.
Helping people is good. It's something to be proud of.
So, to all the people on the other side of the counter, till or phone-line, thank you and have a truly wonderful Christmas, Holiday or whatever.

Collapse -
Bravo Hartiq
by itsdigger / December 5, 2013 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: With you there..

Well Said....Digger

Collapse -
Sound quality???
by rje49 / December 3, 2013 9:44 AM PST

I don't buy a lot of music, but when I buy a CD, I rip it as WAV, then burn it for listening in the car, leaving the original CD home. In the relatively few times I've bought songs online, they are MP3s. I would rather have better sound quality than that.

Collapse -
Survival
by pkarirose / December 3, 2013 10:02 AM PST

As people are now finding out that although online is cheaper and easier in some cases. You are paying
"Money for Nothing" as you own none of your digital content. Its right there in the user agreements. As people are finding out when they try to give over there collections or accounts to others. Also digital content has no accruable value. After all collectors in 100 years can't buy your digital content. But a CD or DVD signed by the artist or actor will be priceless as they are slowly ceasing to exist.

Its also nice to give your kids or grandkids a cd that you listened to in your misspent youth.

Also its interesting to go and watch and listen to your collection and cringe at some of the stuff you used to like can also torture your family by making them watch it no need for online access.

Actually all the content i get online is usually stuff i don't want to keep if i like it i go and buy it. This is a legacy from going to cringe worthy movies and leaving cause they were so bad and thinking i just wasted $50 on that.
And if i don't like the trailer then i won't go see the movie as most of the interesting bits are in the trailers for movies.

I personally go and listen to clips of songs to before i even think of buying. Although song pop has a lot to do with my current spending habits. And some songs aren't even available online.

But if you have collectable editions of Books Music or movies encourage people to buy digital as this will increase their value.

After all $15000 per page for John Lennons 2 page school report that makes all that physical copy worth it

Collapse -
I purchase CDs online
by msecour / December 3, 2013 10:07 AM PST

Call me old-fashioned but I like physical media. After the local Tower Records closed my only choice is Barnes & Noble and they rarely had titles I needed. Everything is online now.

Collapse -
Absolutely.......
by WakkoWarner / December 3, 2013 10:13 AM PST

While purchasing music online is okay, I prefer to have an actual CD in my possession. There are too many
restrictions on digital music. Plus, if you truly want to protect your digital investment, you should burn copies of all the stuff you downloaded anyway. I almost always purchase used CDs - either from Zia Records or FYE. I like to support the local economy, as well as the independent shops.

Collapse -
I Still like hard copy's
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 10:20 AM PST

Most of the old record and tape shops closed down or moved away so I do my buying mostly on or through Amazon.I can find even the hardest to find music there and have it delivered ( retired and liking online shopping) No digital copy's for me , I like to be able to copy them to my HDD , burn a copy for the vehicle and pack them away safe and sound . Life is good...Digger

Collapse -
Seek And You Shall Find
by Rasputin63 / December 3, 2013 10:21 AM PST

After some 50 plus years of frequenting record/CD shops I'm not about to change my habits anytime soon. I love the search for physical media as I'm not only a lifelong collector but the proud owner of thousands of lps, cassettes and CDs. The really fun part for me is the actual seeking of a particular album. Hunting through bins of mainstream and best selling "stuff" and then coming up with a gem that I've been seeking for months or perhaps years is still an incredible experience for me. The social interaction with other collectors and the occasional knowledgeable sales person is yet another perk of the in-store experience.

I'm not a complete Luddite however. Most of my collection has been ripped into FLAC format and is readily available for listening via my home's NAS servers. For traveling I ensure my portable devices support the FLAC codec so I'm never without my music.

The downside is that it's getting harder and harder to find brick and mortar shops these days. Fortunately we too have a shop in Las Vegas called the Zia Record Exchange that offers both new and used music in various formats, presents live music, has knowledgeable staff and, perhaps best of all, offers discount prices on media. Who can ask for more?

Collapse -
Cds are still best
by ledguy2 / December 3, 2013 10:51 AM PST

I grew up spinning records, I resisted cd's at first, after I got a taste of cd's, I sold all the vinyl. I then thought I would give the new download a try, it is ok, but still not as good as cd's. With a cd, I have what you may call a master file, which I can rip into any format I want. Most downloads are of lower bitrate, but fine for portable mp3 players. If you are into the true quality of sound, downloads won't do it. Now I will have to admit, on the newer cd's, they run at a higher volume, which many people think is better, but they do not understand quality, as this causes clipping and compresses the full range of many instruments, this is not the fault of the cd, but the producers and buyers.
So, I still buy cd's. If a cd has several good hits on it, it is cheaper than the individual downloads. I have never seen a virus delete any of my cd's, or power failure corrupt them, can you say that about downloads? I often hear, I lost all my music when my computer crashed! I just say, give me a little while, and I will re rip my cd's while you spend 1,000.00s more re downloading!!! Now ask yourself , which is really better???

Collapse -
Re-downloading is free
by Pepe7 / December 3, 2013 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Cds are still best
Collapse -
No new music
by mjd420nova / December 3, 2013 10:57 AM PST

Being what's called a boomer, I shop in the LP aisles at the flea markets or second hand record stores. I guess you could say I still pay for my music.

Collapse -
I still buy CD's
by xaos777 / December 3, 2013 11:14 AM PST

I still buy CD's and then rip them to MP3. If my hard drive crashes, I still have the physical disc as a back up. Whenever possible, I buy my music directly from the artist either at their shows or website. It's the best way to support the artist with less middlemen getting a cut of their pie.

Collapse -
Why MP3s???
by rje49 / December 5, 2013 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: I still buy CD's

You start with a CD and downgrade to MP3 for back-up? Why not rip the CD as a WAV or other lossless format. It will sound much better than an MP3.

Collapse -
re
by xaos777 / December 5, 2013 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: Why MP3s???

The MP3 is not for back up, the physical CD is the back up. With MP3, I can have thousands of songs on a 32gb flash drive that plugs into my car stereo. As a wave file, my player does not recognize it. Having the physical CD also covers me if the RIAA wants to try suing me, as I have all the purchased discs on hand.

Collapse -
A dinosaur weighs in
by sekander2 / December 3, 2013 11:50 AM PST

Let me preface my remarks by saying I grew up in LA, the heart of the record industry, and worked in record stores there in the late 60s and early 70s. What a privilige it was. Looking back on it fondly, I was sooo lucky to be in that space and time. Who would have thought there would ever be anything but records. But, along came the cassette tape to revolutionize the way people listened to music. Now, you could take your collection in your car or walk around with some of it via the Walkman. I jumped on the CD bandwagon early while working as a jazz DJ in the mid 80s. The radio station got plenty of promotional copies of CDs and I loved the convenience of not having to get up and flip an album over. The sound, while billed as superior to vinyl, was not really, but was good enough.
Don't believe what they tell you about the indestructibility of the CD. They can deteriorate due to water damage,
heat and other things. Unless they are pristinely stored, you might have problems with them.
Downloads from the internet are the latest rage. Great for fat, lazy fuchs who never want to get up and go out or the I'm-too-busy, modern ********* who can't be bothered going to a "store". Guess what, this segment of society has contributed greatly to the demise of the record store (music store). Its gotten to the point where you can't even find a record store in most towns anymore. Since the younger generation never takes the stoppers out of their ears, this is how all music is listened to, now. So, is quality really an issue to the new masses? Obviously not. Portability is everything. I've got 50,000 songs on the head of a pin!!!
Getting on the soapbox for a minute, I will go so far as to say that the lack of interest in sound quality is directly related to the lack of interest in music quality. I don't buy modern music. I think most of it sucks. I'll take music made by the LSD generation over music made by the computer generation ANYDAY. I don't live in America anymore, but one of the highlights of a trip back to LA is a visit to Amoeba Records in Hollywood or the one in Haight Ashbury in good, old San Francisco. I find it hard to believe someone who says they are passionate about music who doesn't enjoy going to record stores.

Collapse -
Music
by xaos777 / December 3, 2013 2:24 PM PST
In reply to: A dinosaur weighs in

Check out Kamelot. One of the best metal bands of today. Intricate, intelligent, dark, melodic, everything I enjoy in music.

Collapse -
The sound quality of downloaded and even CDs is inferior.
by cvacinc93 / December 4, 2013 12:11 AM PST

These are what are called "compressed media", meaning that a portion of the audio spectrum has been removed in order to put more musical selections on a disc or to not overly tax the memory on your computer. LPs, because they encompass the entire spectrum of sound (low lows and high highs) are the preferred media choice for audiophile. I recently paicked up an audiophile magazine and was truly amazed what they will send spend to get the ultimate pure sound. We are talking multi-thousands of dollars on speakers, turntables and tone arms.
In a large metropolitan area like New York City these types of shops will be big successes, because they can attract the kind of clientele that appreciate good music. in most ther ares they will fail, not because of the clientele that appreciate this quality sound, but because there are not "enough" of those people in a given area to make it profitable.

Collapse -
HELL YES!
by EJC_1974 / December 4, 2013 4:25 AM PST

I prefer; always have & always will; having the actual CD over some digital DL copy which can easily become corrupt or accidentally deleted, or lost due to viruses, or HD failure, corruption, etc. Cal me old fashopn, but I prfer a hard copy of ALL my music & movies in the uncompressed original format w/the oroginal cases, & associated artwork, & lyrics-(for the CD's). & unlike many digital DL's, I am am album guy, not a 'singles' guy! Some bands I may only like certain songs here & there, but all of my fawe bands, of which there are MANY, I Prefer to listen to the WHOLE album(s). & if there's a rarirty where rhere's only one or 2 songs on the album I don't care for, that is what the 'Skip' button's for! BTW, I never cared for vinyl even in it's heyday, I bought tapes growing up in the '80's, & then graduated to the superior CD format. I used to live in CT., & there was the most excellent record store about 30-40v mins from me, that specialized in hard to find stuff, esp. Hard Rock & Heavy Metal, & I'd drive there just for the ability to ask for any obscure underground Metal band & not get a blank stare & then the Who? I've never ever heard of them response. Saldy, I now live in North central NJ, & not much around here. One day, I may ptrhaps take the drive up to Princeton REcord Exchange as that place is just MASSIVE! & they carry everything new & old, used & unopened, popular & hard to find. There's a place much closer to me, but the manager's attitude turned me off from ever going there again sadly. To bad too, as it's like 5-10 mins from me too!

I now mostly buy my CD's online from Amazon, or Movie Mars.

Collapse -
No, I don't think so.
by Mr Windows / December 4, 2013 4:38 AM PST

I don't even own a turn table anymore, and it's been years since I've used my CD player. To be honest, I don't even know if it works.

Regards,
Mr. Windows

Collapse -
I would butt.....
by netsiu / December 4, 2013 2:12 PM PST

But there are none within a hundred miles of me except maybe San Francisco. There are all sorts of weird things there and traffic is a nightmare.

Collapse -
DRM
by Hartiq / December 5, 2013 8:33 AM PST

Theoretically, if I buy the disc I can use it in any compatible machine (unless it comes with rootkits) and I can even pass it on to sisters or charity shops.
Theoretically.

Collapse -
Do you still go to record/CD stores to buy music
by Claus32 / December 21, 2013 8:53 PM PST

Seldom, I prefer listen to radio

Collapse -
not really
by lesterbrian / June 17, 2014 1:25 AM PDT

No. But I would, if there is anything that I really need and if I (for some reason) need to have it on a CD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.