Phones forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you own a smartphone?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 13, 2015 9:06 AM PDT
Do you own a smartphone?

-- Yes. (Has it simplified your life?)
-- No. (Why not? Is this by choice?)
-- Still on the fence. (What is holding you back?)

Place your votes here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2496.html

And tell us if owning a smartphone has changed or simplified your life and if you don't own one, why not? Is it a matter of choice or is it cost? Share with us your thoughts!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you own a smartphone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you own a smartphone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
me own one
by renegade600 / March 13, 2015 9:26 AM PDT

a bunch of years ago, I remember going to a meeting carrying a brief case that held a mp3 player, laptop, paper notebook, ipaq, digital camera, cell phone, gameboy and more. It was not light. If I went to the same meeting today, it would just be the smartphone since it is the note three and it could do all of the above.

Collapse -
Just can't see any use for one
by Daniel-Low / March 13, 2015 12:03 PM PDT

Don't get me wrong - I'm on the Internet a minimum of eight hours a day. I'm no Luddite.

And the technology of the latest SmartPhones is impressive, indeed.

However, whenever I'm online I insist on a very fast connection, a very large screen (am actually considering dual monitors), a smooth mouse, a local printer and scanner, and a responsive full-sized keyboard.

Obviously any phone or tablet cannot fulfill these requirements.

I do use a powerful laptop, but rarely, and only when there is no alternative.

And I'm not a teenaged girl who must let her wide circle of friends apprised of her innermost, vital thoughts, 24/7.

So I just can't see what a SmartPhone would add to my life but another monthly bill.

BTW, I also take photographs using a REAL CAMERA with a large lens, whenever possible (instead of the teeny chip that passes as a camera on a phone).

Collapse -
Have had one since 2004....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 12:46 PM PDT

While I can't say that it simplified my life, it made it much more fun.

Collapse -
Desktop backup
by Jim1913 / March 13, 2015 1:23 PM PDT

I use my smartphone as an emergency backup to my desktop computer. I have apps that let me access my bank, my car insurance, email, and all the more important systems I have on my desktop.

Collapse -
Yes, but I never use it now.
by Heestrand / March 13, 2015 9:15 PM PDT

I bought one to get up-to-date. It emptied my phone card before I got control over it, but now I find I have little use for it and have reverted to my previous older cell phone with which I can make calls, send and receive SMS's, and the phone card only needs topping up every three or four months. Not only that, I can see the world around me and am not tied to a small screen 24/7 to see if anyone wants to contact me or is saying things about me.
Bump, excuse me, bump excuse me. I am free of all that.
Old fashioned, maybe. Out of touch - I don't consider so. Who cares about an 83 year-old man anyway?

Collapse -
It's an Accessory
by GolferJL / March 13, 2015 11:52 PM PDT

The smartphone to me is merely a way to get on the internet when out of the office when it becomes a handy tool to have if doing research. I don't do any of that social media junk, and only use the camera when a real one is not available. I refuse to put my life into a piece of electronics, but alas, when my contracts up in a couple of months, I'll end up getting the newest latest and greatest out there.

Collapse -
What I'd like is to have 2 or 3 phones with the same number
by Daniel-Low / March 14, 2015 2:18 AM PDT

While I'm at Home or the Office I don't carry a Phone around.

What I do have is several EXTENSION PHONES; some Cordless, some Wired.

Of course all Phones at Home share the same Phone Number. And all Phones at the Office share a Phone Number.

What does this have to do with SmartPhones ?

Well, if I were able to have three or four SmartPhones, all on the same plan, all with the same Phone Number, I would go for it.

A Phone at Home (probably 2 or 3), a Phone in the Office, one in the Car, all Extension Phones, that would be really convenient !

(Yes, I could buy several phones, with several plans, set up forwarding, to achieve a similar effect. But that is not happening !)

Collapse -
This is available now
by porsche10x / March 16, 2015 8:39 AM PDT

You should consider Google Talk, which is free and designed for exactly that purpose, or look at an inexpensive VOIP service. The forwarding/hunting features are generally much more sophisticated than your cell phone or land line options. You would be able to set up exactly what you're looking for, bridging multiple land lines, cell phones, office, home, etc., all easily modified on the fly. Call quality is usually good, but not always perfect. What exactly is your complaint with this? Are you expecting that the cell phone company should let you use 3 + cell phones sharing one phone number and then only have to pay for one phone? That will never happen for obvious reasons.

Collapse -
From what I'm reading, Hangouts will replace that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2015 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: This is available now

Just used Hangouts Dialer on a non activated Android last week. Super call quality.

Collapse -
Oops
by porsche10x / April 11, 2015 1:58 PM PDT

Actually, I meant to say Google Voice, not Google Talk. Google Voice has been integrated into Hangouts, but you can also use it stand-alone, as an app, or in a browser window. I even use it on an Obitalk VOIP adapter. Voila, pretty much like a land line. I think if you live with it for a while you might find that "super" is a bit of an overstatement. Often better than Skype though. And you can't beat the price.

Collapse -
My tests so far = super.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2015 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Oops

As in better call quality than cellular.
Bob

Collapse -
Don'thave a sar Phone
by netsiu / March 15, 2015 7:16 AM PDT

I have a Motorola Karma QA1. In fact I have four.
I bought the Karma back when they were considered "Smart". The reason was a 6 hour talk time battery. I have four so that if something happens to the one in use I have spares. I didn't buy all of them just gathered as family advanced to smart phones.
I and my dumb phone get along just fine.

Collapse -
Yes, it did simplify my life
by wantmorex / March 16, 2015 5:46 AM PDT

Besides the standard phone feature (calling), the Maps and camera apps really made travelling much easier. I remember the difficulties of traveling with a paper map. The disposable Kodak cameras were also bulky. Plus having to buy camera rolls which can add up costs. The standard smartphone now has all of these features.

Collapse -
I have one
by porsche10x / March 16, 2015 8:50 AM PDT

I do have a smart phone and find it useful, but not without its compromises. Biggest problem for me is battery life. I really miss my old Sony-Ericsson Walkman phone. With moderate use, I got close to a week.between charges. Also, I find the ergonomics of using the smartphone lacking. Writing an email is downright tedious for all but the shortest replies. I find editing via touchscreen can be maddening, and I don't have sausage fingers. I do love carrying the internet in my pocket, but for anything serious, I wait til I get home.

Collapse -
Smart phones- An amazing thing to have today
by chaimcitronenbaum / March 17, 2015 9:42 PM PDT

Undoubtedly, smart phones have changed my way of
life. With the help of the smart phone that I have, I no longer have to carry
my bulky laptop. My smart phone helps me perform all the tasks- from making
urgent calls through voice command to sending business mails from anywhere.
They have truly filled my life with ease, convenience and simplicity. They are
a boon to mankind.

Collapse -
Essential for people on the move.
by cdnexpat / April 3, 2015 5:22 AM PDT

As an expat, I travel for my work, and for my pleasure. A smartphone is now essential, to stay in contact with the office, and even for travel.
I found lately that for planning a trip, my phone is so handy, that I don't know how I managed before. You book the hotels, and they pop up on your S Planner on Android. When you arrive in the city, you open planner, and press on the appropriate event for the day, and your hotel appears. press on the hotel link, and it will activate Maps, with directions to the hotel! Brilliant. No need to even save hotel locations in Google Maps anymore.
When I arrive in a new country, I just buy a prepaid simcard at the airport, and start navigating.

Collapse -
YESS
by ela1n3ko / April 7, 2015 6:58 AM PDT

Yes I have a smartphone and it has simplified my life in many ways! I just cant imagine how much smarter the phone will get. Now that Samsung Galaxy 6/6 Edge has an option where you can just input your credit card # and pay by scanning your phone, and same with apple pay, what else is next? We already have wifi option, where our phones are getting thinner. I never had a cell phone that was the size of a brief case but I did watch the 90's movies where the people had to carry around a large phone around that was probably 10 lbs. We are also able to open up Microsoft and excel documents on our phones, and watch movies/shows on our phone. I just know that many people in my life cannot leave the house without their cell phones!

Collapse -
Can't see any reason for not to have one.
by uditsh / April 10, 2015 4:58 PM PDT

Yes i can say that it simplified my life/work. Sometime smartphones are really helpful, mostly when you are traveling to another state.
You don't need to carry real camera. Smartphones have enough camera quality and can share the moment instantly.
You don't need to carry maps to find places when you are lost in your way.
You don't need any tracking device, sometimes you may need this if you are traveling to big crime rate place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.