Speakeasy forum

General discussion

POLITICS AS USUAL

Discovered this interesting tidbit in the weekly newsletter from the Georgia Public Policy Foundation.

You remember John Edwards, don't you? The Poodle's running mate? Mr. Hot-Shot trial lawyer who is suddenly eager to be our president? Well, Edwards is part of the Union/Democrat war against Wal-Mart. He says that Wal-Mart just doesn't pay its workers enough. So here we have John Edwards doing a book signing in Manchester, New Hampshire. He's signing books at the Barnes & Noble book store. As luck would have it there's a Wal-Mart right there! The local newspaper, the Union Leader, decided to see what sort of wages these two stores are paying. The Wal-Mart, it seems, starts all workers at $7.50 an hour. The Barnes & Noble? There the starting salary is $7.00 an hour.

Gotta love it.

yup guess he didnt ask 1st Happy and theres a link included to read the full article b4 you say its boortz its not

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: POLITICS AS USUAL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: POLITICS AS USUAL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, it is politcs as usual.

In reply to: POLITICS AS USUAL

Even before candidates that are rumored or give any reason that they want to be potential political contenders, the gleeful dirt digging starts for anything that could discredit them.

Looks like we will again be faced with the possibility of choosing the lesser of two evils by the time all of the dirt digging is over.

Not that political dirt digging is ever over any more. Sad

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
but did you read

In reply to: Yes, it is politcs as usual.

the article about edwards i mean its funny because of what he demands wallmart to do Happy

Collapse -
Of course, or...

In reply to: but did you read

Collapse -
(NT) okey doke

In reply to: Of course, or...

Collapse -
as usual

In reply to: POLITICS AS USUAL

excerpt from the article from the source of his tidbit: 'new hampshire union leader'

....."Unfortunately, people who want to support a company that pays at least $7.50 an hour cannot go to Wal-Mart to buy Edwards' book and then take it over to Barnes & Noble for him to sign it. Wal-Mart doesn't carry it."......

walmart fortune 500 rank 2006: # 2
profits: 1,231,000,000

barnes & noble fortune 500 rank 2006: # 422
profits: 146,700,000

seems like walmart could pay almost $70 an hour.

Collapse -
Is the book...

In reply to: as usual

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: Is the book...

I am quoting what the article said. it was not an edwards/friendly opinion piece.

the name of the book was not mentioned by boortz or nh union leader op-ed. that was not their agenda.

the following day 11/28, the union leader wrote(not an op-ed)from AP:....Edwards countered that unlike Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble offers a comprehensive health care plan to even its part-time workers.

"I've never asked anyone not to shop at Wal-Mart," he said. "I understand people need to buy inexpensive goods... But there are other companies, like Costco, who can do it and pay a decent wage and provide health care coverage, and I don't think that responsibility should be passed to taxpayers."

Collapse -
(NT) and isnt there a membership required for cosco?

In reply to: yes

Collapse -
(NT) 15 cents a day, leap years a tiny bit less

In reply to: and isnt there a membership required for cosco?

Collapse -
profits/ correction

In reply to: as usual

a billion here, a billion there. soon you are talking real money. I usually do not write numbers this big. so I screwed up, so don't sell your stocks

the correct profit figures:

walmart $11,231,000,000

barnes & noble $1,461,000,000

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.