Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Political/religious cartoons....humour?

by JP Bill / February 2, 2006 11:58 AM PST
Political Cartoon About Iraq War Sparks Pentagon Outrage

Feb. 2, 2006 ? In the midst of fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan along with the global war on terror, leaders of the Pentagon today declared war on an editorial cartoon.

The cartoon, by Washington Post editorial cartoonist Tom Toles, uses a disabled soldier as a metaphor for a damaged Army.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Political/religious cartoons....humour?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Political/religious cartoons....humour?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a small request JP
by jonah jones / February 2, 2006 1:24 PM PST

on such a sensitive "button pushing" post, i think it would be appropriate if you were to add your own personal opinion...

is it "humour"?

jonah

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is it humour? Yes
by JP Bill / February 2, 2006 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: a small request JP
Collapse -
Humor
by EdH / February 2, 2006 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: a small request JP

(note spelling)

Not very funny, but he is entitled to his opinion just as Rumsfeld is entitled to his.

I have never found Toles to be very good or insightful.

Collapse -
What's a Toles?
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Humor

New word for me & Websters or Roget's Thesaurus is no help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oh, the guys name..;_)
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: What's a Toles?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A mediocre left-wing cartoonist.
by EdH / February 2, 2006 11:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Toles
by marinetbryant / February 2, 2006 11:55 PM PST

The Obnoxious Liberal Establishment Site. Am I peeved? Damn right!

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 1st Amendment all the way!
by Self-Destruction / February 2, 2006 1:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Humour
by marinetbryant / February 2, 2006 11:53 PM PST

Yeah, just hilarious JP. But the Mohammed with a bomb in his turban isn't. Wonder what branch of the service Toles served in?

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 3, 2006 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Humour

Never said it was hilarious. I said it was humour. A "sick" (dark) humour (using a person with no arms or legs) to represent the armed forces, but still humour. the part that I thought a little humourous was Rumsfelds use of the term "battle hardened". As most politicians have a "way with words"

I did not break out in loud laughter, all I did was a slight smile.

Collapse -
Response
by marinetbryant / February 3, 2006 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Response

You are a strange person JP.

Tom

Collapse -
I often find both kinds funny
by Angeline Booher / February 3, 2006 12:09 AM PST

Political cartoons make political statements, often in a humorous way. Some have even won Pulitzer Prizes. Some were never intended to be funny, but to just make a serious point.

Even when those intended to be funny do not jibe with my views, they can often bring me a grin. Some are very well done.

I'll separate cartoons that refer to religion in a non-political way. One I recall from years past (Charles Addams):

Two ministers are walking down the street together.

One says to the other...

"Have you ever wondered what we would be doing if there was no sin?"

I found that funny (must have as I remember it).

As for the two politcal cartoons now in the news, IMO,they both address what, for want of a better term. public (well known) figures and current events. I think they were more social comment than political and intended to make a serious point.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.