Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Political cultism and the end of the world!

by gearup / November 10, 2006 3:46 AM PST

If you have the time this is a very interesting read. Should be called "Apocalypse and who really cares?"

http://www.rickross.com/reference/christian_identity/christianidentity19.html

It is a rather long read and is slightly tilted but may explain many things which happen in this forum!

Unfortunately the authors suffer from a common fault of amateur communicators in that they fall in love with their own verbiage. But be patient as they do make a good case for some of their "theories"!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Political cultism and the end of the world!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Political cultism and the end of the world!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can agree largely with your assessment of the piece
by Steven Haninger / November 10, 2006 10:46 AM PST

though I admit to skimming most of it. I can blame that on Adult ADD since it's an official malady now. Happy My problem with such theories, explanations and such is accurate information to input isn't easy to gather. Suppose I wanted to determine how many species birds, and insects lived in the woods. So as not to disturb them, I hid microphones throughout the area and attempted to capture their voices. Of course, I could only gather data about those who made noise. The silent ones could be numerous and significant to the local ecology but I would never know. Such is true with people. We only hear from those who make noise....and most, I believe, are content to remain fairly silent and their thoughts elude detection. Happy

Collapse -
the squeaky wheel gets the grease or
by WOODS-HICK / November 10, 2006 11:16 AM PST

I prefer: 'All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man.'--Henry David Thoreau

gearup, have not read 'political cultism' yet, it is bookmarked

Collapse -
Squeaky wheels are no problem though
by Steven Haninger / November 10, 2006 11:30 AM PST

We know when they want attention. It's the ones that are quietest that we need to worry most about as they also need attention. If they never get any, they will eventually fall off without warning. And all the great thinkers of the past whom we quote to make us sound smart were really no more profound in their thoughts than were the common men and women of the same time. These smarties just happened to own all the typewriters and such. Happy

Collapse -
but they got the grease**
by WOODS-HICK / November 10, 2006 12:12 PM PST

**all the great thinkers of the past whom we quote to make us sound smart.

we quote them to sound smart? I disagree. I quote them because their thoughts agree with mine. it is a validation that adds weight. did I find the quote or did the quote find me. we all speak the words of others, word-craft stolen from the tongues of the seekers. someone may quote you some day. you are obviously thoughtful, spiritual, humorous and hold a high regard for the 'common men and women of the same time'(what did I tell you).

what could be better?

you do not want to quietly despair, holding your song inside. do you?

Collapse -
What about the content of the web site?
by gearup / November 10, 2006 8:36 PM PST

Doesnt anyone in here want to discuss same? Seems to me they are too busy proving that the premise is correct to bother. What amazes me is that now that our government is again working the way it should all I hear is doom sayers putting out the same old!

Collapse -
Unfortunately, and a problem to which you alluded
by Steven Haninger / November 10, 2006 10:42 PM PST

is that the point of the article appears, to me, to be lost in the verbiage. I find it to be too incoherent to comment on as a whole and to extract from context would not be fair. As such, and to me, it's a dinner that not easy to digest and write a review about...but that does not make it unwelcome. Sorry but that's all I can offer.

Collapse -
From my skimming of the link,
by drpruner / November 16, 2006 2:23 AM PST

I gather that the co-authors' casual formatting of the text makes it appear that some quoted material is actually their ideas. I think the last paragraph shows their stand.

The verbiage is, I think, normal for scholarly papers; more words, more holy points with one's advisor. Happy

Collapse -
You said it all right here
by Steven Haninger / November 10, 2006 8:54 PM PST
"did I find the quote or did the quote find me"..or is it the "wish I would have said that" feeling we often have when reading the expressions of another. A light comes on because when that match is made because it's already within you and not just suddenly injected there. As for common people versus those of notoriety, I think we may have it backwards as to who is in the position of leadership. For those who need to establish their legacies including the many "Grand Poobahs", let them have it and make their little mischiefs. If we don't, their mischiefs will be greater. Those who can shed their egos will do the greater works. Now, do I care if I am ever quoted some day? Not at all. It won't be a thought unique to me now and, even if I never say it, it will appear again later. Happy
Collapse -
(quote) Unfortunately the authors suffer from
by drpruner / November 16, 2006 12:54 AM PST

a common fault of amateur communicators in that they fall in love with their own verbiage. But be patient as they do make a good case for some of their "theories"! (end quote)

Or, they could have directed interested ones to the Bible. For openers, it has a clear, concise, theologically correct history of the 'lost tribes' which eliminate any confusion.

Also: Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. (Acts 10:34,35)

As to politics and the 'end', there's Dan 2:44, which describes the fate of man's political systems.

Having seen this, we can avoid verbiage and go on with our lives.:-)

Collapse -
(NT) Just because the Democrats got elected?
by JP Bill / November 16, 2006 12:56 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?