General discussion

Polarized lens

I have a Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm and 55mm f1/1.8 lens. Since I do a lot of outdoor and landscape photography, I am planning to buy a circular polorized lens. Can you please suggest the Polarized lens that goes with my camera lens.

Discussion is locked

Reply to: Polarized lens
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Polarized lens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Polarizing filter

Hoya usually has good price and decent quality. Both of your lenses use 52mm filter size, so you just need one filter.

If you want better quality, then can consider B + W, Heliopan or Singh Ray. Sing Ray has some combo filters that combines polarizer with other effects. These brands usually are more expensive.

The polarizing filter is the most used filter. There are other useful filters for special effects, eg. Neutral density filter, graduated ND filter, reverse graduated ND filter (for Sunset on the Horizon shots, a special filter by Singh Ray), color filters, and a number of other special effect filters.

Stacking filters can do multiple special effects, but will lower image quality, increase distortion and cause vignetting. A thin profile filter will reduce vignetting.

- Collapse -
Polarized filter

You are lucky .. both lenses have a 52mm thread on the front of the lens.

So they use a 52mm circular polarized filter.

It is the same size as the lens cap.
Look inside the lens cap and you may find the size (52mm).


Forum Info