Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Poland wins Auschwitz name change

WARSAW, Poland (Reuters) -- The United Nations has agreed to rename Auschwitz concentration camp to stress that Nazi Germans, not Poles, were responsible for the world's most notorious death camp, Poland's Culture Ministry said on Wednesday.

"Auschwitz Concentration Camp", a U.N. heritage site, will be renamed "the Former Nazi German Concentration Camp of Auschwitz", the ministry of culture said in a statement.

Poland asked the U.N. in April to rename Auschwitz, where 1.5 million people, mostly Jews, died in World War Two.

Warsaw objects to references to "Polish gas chambers" at the "Polish concentration camp" in foreign media. Nearly 3 million non-Jewish Poles died at Nazi hands, and Poles see themselves as victims of the war.

here we go changing names thats the 1st step to make the horror go away next say it never happened:(

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/07/12/auschwitz.renamed.reut/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poland wins Auschwitz name change
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poland wins Auschwitz name change
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disagree

In reply to: Poland wins Auschwitz name change

They just want people to know that it was Nazi Germany who ran the camp, not the Poles. The way some think it would be well it's in Poland so the Poles must have done it. Many Poles lost there lives in the Warsaw ghetto due to Nazi tactics.

Tom

Collapse -
never said they didnt

In reply to: Disagree

in my opinion its the start of re writeing history:(

Collapse -
I don't see it as rewriting history ...

In reply to: never said they didnt

... the new name CLARIFIES what happened Mark!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Sorry, but I don't see a problem with this ...

In reply to: Poland wins Auschwitz name change

... unless you believe the Poles were complicit in the goings on at Auchwitz whilst under occupation.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
i just feel its wrong but

In reply to: Sorry, but I don't see a problem with this ...

thats what i feel its a re write or a lead into it.
i guess time will tell

Collapse -
I do understand Mark

In reply to: i just feel its wrong but

The liberal/progressive types are trying to rewrite history, saying how evil the US is, but I really don't think this falls into that category. Like ward churchill blaming American Indian genocide on the US, but there are More American Indians now than before. How about slavery? The US didn't institute it, the Brits introduced it and they were the biggest supplier of slaves. Read that the American Revolution was the beginning of the end of slavery because the abolitionists were free to do their thing. Couldn't have done it under British rule. Yes, we need to be vigilant and hang tough. Sure wish I could practice my culture and heritage like a select few!

Tom

Collapse -
tom i have np with your views

In reply to: I do understand Mark

i just lost to many relitives in that era

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.