Computer Help forum

General discussion

Pointer hourglass won't go away and can't open task manager

by Vekelos915 / May 14, 2010 5:43 PM PDT

Hey everyone, I've been having a lot of problems with my computer for the last few weeks. I keep fixing each issue as it comes up but then a new one seems to pop-up, and I can't seem to find a way to fix my current dilemma.

I recently fought with a virus or some other issue that would not allow me to open any programs other than firefox. Firefox ran fine, but if I tried to open anything else I would just get the hourglass pointer for about 2 seconds and then it would go away. I couldn't even open control panel and if I tried to use add/remove, the list would come up blank. After trying several fixes and having no luck with any, I did a system restore and went back about a month to April 14th. I then did a full virus scan (I have the full version of malwarebytes and did quick, full, and flash scans). However, now my cursor is constantly locked at the arrow with the little hourglass next to it. Most things seem to still work fine, but I was nervous about what programs might be running in the background. So I tried to open Task Manager and it won't open. I get the black cmd box for a brief second and then it goes away. No errors, no warnings, it just closes. Compared to my previous issues this seems minor but I worry about what might be running in the background. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pointer hourglass won't go away and can't open task manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pointer hourglass won't go away and can't open task manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also
by Vekelos915 / May 14, 2010 5:44 PM PDT

Also, my hourglass was like this before I ran malwarebytes. Probably not necessary information but I figure every bit helps.

Collapse -
Sometimes even Malwarebytes can't catch
by Brechan / May 14, 2010 10:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks!
by Vekelos915 / May 15, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

I still have the hourglass and the task manager still won't load, but I just finished a quick scan with Superantispyware and it found over 60 items. I'm going to do a full scan now and see how that goes.

Collapse -
Not quite
by Vekelos915 / May 17, 2010 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

So the hourglass has gone away, but not due to SuperAntispyware. Turns out it had something to do with the Catalyst Control Center for my ATI card. I started getting an error about MOM.exe, which turns out to be part of CCC. I reinstalled CCC, it no longer works at all but MOM is no longer trying to load either. CCC just seemed like a slightly fancier way to change display settings so no big loss.

I still can't get the task manager to come up though. Sad

Collapse -
Have You Tried Enabling Task Manager Like This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Not quite
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?