Cameras forum

General discussion

point & shoot with decent manual controls

by bahumbug123 / March 27, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

I currently own an (old) Canon S200 and am looking to buy a new point and shoot camera. Here's what I've been looking for:

-good zoom (preferably 4x optical or up)
-a decent set of manual controls (ISO control, shutter speed control, etc)
-price ($300 or less)

The cameras I've been looking into so far include the Canon A series, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1K, the Canon Powershot series, and the Fuji FinePix F30.

I'm a beginner/intermediate photographer looking for a p&s that I can have some control over (and can take good pictures in lowlight).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: point & shoot with decent manual controls
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: point & shoot with decent manual controls
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Manual Controls
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 28, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

The Panasonic TZ1K does not have manual controls.

The Canon A series will have the controls you want:
Shutter Priority
Aperture Priority
Program AE
Full Manual

The Canon A540, A620, A630, A640, A700, A710IS
all have manual controls.

The Fujifilm F30 would be the best choice for low light.
It has some manual controls:
Shutter Priority
Aperture Priority

Collapse -
Try the Samsung NV10
by digitalbeginners / March 28, 2007 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Manual Controls

I too was looking at the Fuji F30 but I got bowled over by the Samsung NV10 instead. It's a superb point and shoot and got a great review on dpreview.com which sold me on it. I have a special section on my Flickr site which shows some of the shots I've taken if you want to have a look http://www.flickr.com/photos/davemckane/sets/72157600030347491/

As with all compacts, noise above 100 ISO is noticeable, but I shoot at this level anyway. The menu system is something else though, I have instant access to every menu setting including the manual shutter and aperture (the latter only f7.1 or f2.8 in manual control). Don't take my word for it, just look at the reviews.

Collapse -
Canon A Series
by newphotoguy / March 28, 2007 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Manual Controls

I've been shopping around for nearly 6 months now in a variety of stores. I've also done the research online including CNET right here, and I highly recommend the Canon A series. I'd say the best right now would be the A710 IS because of the added Image Stabilization. If you can deal without it, or plan on using a Tripod, I'd say go with the A630 or A640 depending on your preference of color, and MP size. However, with the A710 IS you get a nice big LCD (no flip-out and twist though), 7MP, and a 6x optical zoom. The average nowadays is 3 or 4x optical zoom, so that A710 has a bit of a boost there. I just bought it myself, but believe me, I'm not biased. Depending on your budget and what kinds of things you want to shoot will help us best determine the one for you. I'd say stick with Canon's A series though. It's highly recommended all over and it's a great starter for any aspiring Photographer(s). They're fairly compact, offer a wide range of modes and allow you some control and some ability to learn if you're just starting out.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Panasonic
by newphotoguy / March 28, 2007 5:25 PM PDT

Keep in mind that the TZ1K and most of Panasonic's Ultra-Zoom, Compact cameras have no viewfinder. That can be very tricky if you're in a very sunny situation and the LCD just washes out. It's important and a lot of times easier to use a viewfinder. But, it's your personal preference that counts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?