General discussion

Podcast - record or copy to cd

What do I need to get a podcast (mp3) onto a cd to listen to it at my convenience elsewhere than online?
I have Real Player, I have WMP; I have Record Now. I am so confused. All these words "rip" "burn" "record" Gosh. Can anyone set me straight? I dont want to be downloading additional software onto my laptop unless I really need it - even if it's free. Thank You.
niki

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Podcast - record or copy to cd
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Podcast - record or copy to cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Podcasts...

First, a quick rundwn on the terminology:
* Rip: To copy the music from a CD to your computer, from which you can play it, burn it to CD, or transfer it to a portable device.
* Burn: To save music or data to a CD or DVD.
* Record: Some use it an a synonym to burn, but it usually referrs to saving audio/video, such as from podcasts or streaming internet radio.

Thus, you'll want to record the podcast to your computer, burn it to CD so you can listen to it on the go, and rip your CD collection to play on an MP3 player.
--------------------
Next, the methods:
* Ripping can be done by numerous free and costly programs, but I simply use Windows Media Player, as I already have it and it does the job well.
* Burning: Sonic RecordNow is what came with your computer, though you can use an alternative if you like.
* Recording...continue reading.

There are two ways to record streaming audio. The first is to use a program that simply records the radio station or podcast directly. The best one, to my knowledge, is Replay Audio, which can record internet radio, podcasts, internet TV, and more from hundreds of thousands of sources. (It costs $50 after the free trial, but based on the reviews is worth every penny.) You can also click here for similar programs available from Cnet's own download.com.

The other is to play the internet radio/podcast on your computer, then record the audio as it passes through your sound card. The way to do this is to go to Radio Shack or your local electronics department and pick up an audio cable that will let you connect the line out and line in audio ports on your computer. This will pump what's coming through your speakers into the microphone jack. Then, use the free program Audacity to record it. (There is a nice tutorial available on their website.) It's a little more difficult to do and it's not automated like with the recording software, but it's cheap (the cable costs about $3) and gets the job done.

Finally, I must end by noting that recording internet radio, podcasts, etc may not be legal in all countries (though I can't think of any off hand), so you should check your local laws before proceeding. In addition, some companies/stations/podcasters prohibit the recording of their broadcasts, so be sure to check first.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
Podcasts - Recording

John: I cant thank you enough. Simple "procedures" explained - at last. I've been searching for weeks. I appreciate it very, very much. I now have a picture in my head of how this works. I am going to go for it. Thanks again; and thnks Cnet for this site.
Niki

- Collapse -
Podcasts

Assuming that you are using iTunes for downloading the podcasts from the iTunes Music Store. Almost all are Free.
The podcasts are already MP3 files and can be burned onto a CD using iTunes.
Create a folder in iTunes and put your downloaded podcasts into it.
Open that folder and press the burn button at the top right of the window.
That's all there is to it

P

- Collapse -
Podcasts Help

P: Thank you for your response. I knew it had to be simpler than I was making it - but really needed some clarity of step 1, step 2, etc. Nice of you to respond - and again, thanks to CNet for this site.
Niki

- Collapse -
(NT) Podcast burning

Is this what you mean.
1. Open iTunes
2. Create a new playlist. File/New PlayList
3. Download your podcast of choice
4. Podcast is now in your Library. Open the Library.
5. Drag the podcast from the library to the newly created playlist.
6. Click the Burn Disc button at the top right of the screen
That's it

P

- Collapse -
Podcast-ITunes

P. Thank you. I really appreciate getting the help. It's kind of you to take the time. I know I will succeed now.
Niki

CNET Forums