Linux forum

General discussion

Podcast Radio

by tsaot / August 20, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

Ok, So for a while now I've been wanting to build a Podcast Radio. The idea is to take an old junker of a computer and convert it to a file server that downloads podcasts as well. The radio portion of this project is that I want it to continuously play said podcasts so I can just switch the speakers on when I want to listen.

When I found an old computer at a garage sale for $20 (384 MB RAM, 1.2 Ghz AMD Athalon, 40 gig HD) I jumped on it. I've installed Ubuntu for the OS, Samba for sharing, and Gpodder for the podcast downloading. (I also installed F@H for the fun of it and Conky so I can see the folding progress). I have it all set up and I access the GUI via VNC.

I've gotten it to do everything I want except for the radio portion. I've been poking around with the advanced settings in gpodder and found I can have a custom command run whenever a new podcast is downloaded so my thought was to have it open and play an auto playlist in Rhythmbox whenever a new file was downloaded, that way the newest download is started and overrides the current playing track. I've had a few problems with this though.
1. Rythmbox doesn't appear to scan set folders for new media as I'm used to in WMP.
2. Any attempt I've made to create an auto playlist (one that builds a track list from set criteria) has resulted in the program crashing.
3. Gpodder's help wiki is down (has been for some time) and as such, I can't find any syntax information for the command.

Honestly all I need is a music player the can automatically scan a folder recursively for new tracks, keep track of a playcount, and play auto playlists. I can then use a cron job to restart the playlist every 6 hours or so. Does anyone know of such a player?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Podcast Radio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Podcast Radio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I seem to have solved my problem
by tsaot / August 21, 2009 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Podcast Radio

I seem to have solved my radio problem. After writing the other post I was inspired to google "linux multimedia library" rather than "linux multimedia player" and found Songbird. It has auto playlists and the ability to update those playlists as they are playing so it looks like it will work for my purposes (without the cron job). It also has the ability to build auto playlists out of other auto playlists, so I'm trying different methods to mix in music with my podcasts. I'm still interested in other suggestions, so if you know of a better setup, let me know.

Collapse -
14 suggestions
by GODhack / August 21, 2009 3:42 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?