Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

PNxxB850/B860 plasmas buzz abnormally loudly: dont buy

by jonathantrevor / November 25, 2009 6:19 AM PST

To all potential PN50B850/860 "thin" plasma buyers please be aware that the abnormally loud buzz exhibited by these sets is deemed "normal" by Samsung and no exchange or replacement will be performed.

The sets have been returned in droves to Best Buy and other retailers because of the buzzing noise they make. After working with Samsung case management for my particular set for many months they are now firmly committed to saying the level of buzz is normal for plasmas and this set. I can agree its normal for this set, but its at least 100x worse than every other plasma Ive owned (4). Yes they all buzz, but generally less than 6 INCHES away. Ive now had 4 different B850/B860 combinations and they all can be heard from 10 FEET. This range appears to have an inherent design fault.

If you *do* decide to get one, please remember to return it directly to the dealer you bought it from as Samsung will not be able to fix the "buzz" you are hearing. If you are a dealer this might not be the best set to stock. If the buzz does not bother you, then great - the set is wonderful apart from the buzz.

This is what I had to go through to get to this point (I have a buzzing plasma that Samsung will not deal with).

Samsung is unable to resolve an issue w/ several plasmas I have had from them from 6/15/09. Long version here: http://bit.ly/12Yi73. Summary: 6/15 I bought a PN50B850 from Best Buy. It started "buzzing" & I could hear it in another room when volume was on! I have owned 3 different plasma brands and this is 100x worse (not normal). Returned 1st TV to BB & the 2nd arrived on 7/2. 2nd TV had same issue, could hear the buzz 15' away. Called SS who sent repair dealer (tvunlimited). Claimed "its normal". I escalate it & SS contacted a different repair center. On 7/24/09 tech tries to replace board but has wrong model. On 8/3/09 tech replaces 3 boards but buzzing got WORSE. On 8/14/09, cnet SS rep arranges replacing 2nd set w/ upgraded model. Unfortunately buzz still there. I have already installed the $$$ SS mount so I see if I can live w/ buzz. On 10/25/09 I decide I can't. Called SS & they send tech w/ new fix, but tv ALREADY has fix installed. No change to buzzing issue. Called support & told they need to call the service center to check that the problem was "unrepairable" & they'd call back. They didnt. I call a day later & told tvunlimited should have set up appointment w/ me. I call tvunlimited & they said no fix for problem, it's "usual" on these sets. I call SS again on 11/3 & they say need to contact someone in "product" & will call back. No callback. I have now had 4 different versions of the same set. SS never call back when they say they would (4) & not addressing the problem. The buzz w/ these TVs seems inherent design fault (not typical for plasmas). Widely reported across the web. Even cnet thread I started had 3 people returning buzzing sets.

Jonathan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PNxxB850/B860 plasmas buzz abnormally loudly: dont buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PNxxB850/B860 plasmas buzz abnormally loudly: dont buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!