General discussion

pn50c7000yf issue w/ cable box

hi all,
I recently bought a 50" samsung hd tv 7 series. I have comcast and I already called them to add hd service. since then I've gone through 3 hd cable boxes in the last 2 weeks and none of them seem to work- ranging from a dysfunctional hdmi to a box that constantly makes a screeching noise and channels cannot be changed. currently I have one box that doesn't make the noise but I can't seem to get the hd channels to work! When I plug the cable box in via HDMI, and I switch the source to the HDMI, it says no signal /device detected. I know the hdmi ports on the tv work becuz I've tried plugging my ps3 or blu ray player and those work.
Then, I tried plugging in the cable box with A/V cables and I get the regular non-HD channels but when i switch to the HD channels it says no HD service but I've called them to double check that the service is on on their end. Does anybody know what's the problem here and wat i can do to get this to work? thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: pn50c7000yf issue w/ cable box
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: pn50c7000yf issue w/ cable box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

mssugaholic,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your TV and cable box setup.

With the AV cable connection, go into the setup menu of the cable box and change the video output resolution to 720p or 1080p. You should be able to switch back to the HDMI input and see HD television. Many boxes come default with a 480i signal, and that may be causing the issue.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -

hi thanks for replying! I actually did try doing that - going into the settings on the cable box but the section where I can use to change the resolution to 1080p is greyed out and I can't even select it to change it. The greyed out part is set on 480i but I cannot change it.

- Collapse -

mssugaholic,

The AV cable may not allow those higher resolutions, so try to see if you can first change the output to HDMI or Component first. Then raise the resolution. (In other words, if the box is output specific, 720 or higher won't work through an AV cable)

The other option might be to unplug the box, remove the cables, and then connect only with the HDMI cable to see if it auto-detects.

Considering the trouble you've had with the past few boxes, you might want to see about having your cable tech stop by and assist, if these tips don't help.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info