HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

PN50A650 Intermittent Sound Loss

by pops94 / July 9, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

Hello -

I purchased a 50 inch Samsung Plasma about 3 weeks ago (model PN50A650) and have noticed intermittent sound drops while watching TV broadcasts. Have not watched a DVD as of yet, so unsure if this will also be affected. I would say it happens fairly frequently...at least 10 occurrences in a 2-3 hour span. I have the TV connected to a DirecTV HD box via HDMI and also have a Sony soundbar connected with HDMI. Anyone else having similar issues? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PN50A650 Intermittent Sound Loss
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PN50A650 Intermittent Sound Loss
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PN50A650 Intermittent Sound Loss
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

pops94,

Does the same thing happen if you use a different HDMI port in the back of the TV? Also, you might want to call DirecTV and have them reset/update your box. In most cases, they can do it remotely.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: PN50A650 Intermittent Sound Loss
by pops94 / July 9, 2009 10:06 PM PDT

HDTech -

I tried connecting to the different HDMI ports in the back of the TV and still experienced the same problem. Also, I called DirecTV to ask them about resetting the HD box and was told that I could reset it myself with the reset button on the box itself. I used the reset button and still experienced the sound drop issue.

Collapse -
re: PN50A650 Intermittent Sound Loss
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

pops94,

Well, this isn't going to be a fun answer, but you may want to have the unit inspected. I was hoping perhaps that you'd be able to test a different HDMI connection, but not everyone has other HDMI peripherals to test.

So, to be on the safe side, you might call 800-SAMSUNG and have someone come out to check out the unit. If you know of ways where the chances of this issue happening in front of the tech are higher, I would suggest giving him a demonstration that he can see.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
RE: Intermittent Sound Loss
by pops94 / July 22, 2009 2:23 AM PDT

quick update on my situation --

when connecting the DirecTV HD to Sony CT-100 via HDMI and CT-100 to Samsung Plasma via HDMI -- i get the intermittent sound loss.

when connecting the DirecTV HD to Sony CT-100 via Optical and DirecTV HD to Samsung via HDMI -- no sound loss.

Does this make sense? Is there some sort of problem between the Sony CT-100 and the Samsung Plasma?

Any help is appreciated...

Collapse -
RE: Intermittent Sound Loss
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2009 5:16 PM PDT

pops94,

It's hard to say what the issue could be.

The HDMI isn't meant to send the audio from one port to another. The second configuraton (source direct via optical to HT) is the recommended connection setup.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sound loss
by PlanZdz / July 10, 2009 3:38 PM PDT

I have the LA52A850 and it looses sound as well. The cause on mine is the split air conditioner that is about 1.5M away. Causes the TV to drop sound for about 1 sec when starting and stopping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.