Samsung forum

General discussion

PN50A510 Hookup to PC

by JDBorges187 / September 20, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

Hello, I just purchased this TV and have it hooked up to my laptop HP NC8430. It is connected with HDMI-DVI Cable. It looks great and I have it as an extended panel. I was able to set it up to 1920x1080. But it doesn't take up the fullscreen. Is there any reason why their are 1 inch black edges around the image???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PN50A510 Hookup to PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PN50A510 Hookup to PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by JDBorges187 / September 24, 2008 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: PN50A510 Hookup to PC

I will take anybodies opinion, experience or help with this. its annoying the living crap out of me. When I put it in half screen PIP mode the right side takes up the entire 50 percent. but the Left does the same thing again black bars on the edges. HELPPP

Collapse -
Resolutions vary...
by Mr__S / October 6, 2008 5:37 PM PDT

Resolutions for computer monitors vary in the transfer to the resolutions available by the television. Even two ?identical? resolutions will be processed differently.

Many computer screens that are ?widescreen? have different measurements than televisions that are ?widescreen?. Your television is simply compensating by giving you the fullest picture possible. Likewise, many movies offer those same black lines because the director wanted a specific aspect ratio. Even though they are ?widescreen?, black lines on the top or bottom are inevitable unless the movie has been remastered, zoomed in a little and reprocessed for a full-widescreen format.

It?s not abnormal.

As far as picture in picture with a PC, I?m not sure exactly the problem you?re describing.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
by JDBorges187 / October 7, 2008 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolutions vary...

Ok, So I will never be able to use 100% screen real estate?

Collapse -
More Help
by JDBorges187 / December 11, 2008 9:34 AM PST

I found through much research was similar to what others have named overscan. Except my issue was underscan. My ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 Card was eagerly anticipating overscanning so it reduced the amount of video being sent out leaving me with a black frame around my beatiful background. I hope this post will help others that have experienced this issue.

On a separate note however, I am still fighting with an issue on my panel. When I am connected to my PC I experience grey edges that seems to move overtime. At First there is a 1 pixel grey vertical bar that increses to 3-4 Pixels wide. The picture then moves down a few pixels to make way for a horizontal bar. To make a long story short the image with grey bar appended moves up-left-down-right indefinitely causing the skinny grey bars to alternate to different edhes of the screen. Now you can imagine how annoying that is while sending bluray movies to the tv from your laptop. Once again Im calling out for help. Thank You.

Collapse -
by JDBorges187 / December 16, 2008 12:28 PM PST

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?