Samsung forum

General discussion

PN50A450 w/ HT-Z515 home theater w/Motorola DCH3200 cbl box

I have a HDMI cbl going from hm theater to tv and also a HDMI cbl going from cbl box to tv....now regarding the optical cable, is it best to go from the cable box to the tv OR from the home theater to the tv OR from the theater to the cbl box? I think either way will work but what is the difference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PN50A450 w/ HT-Z515 home theater w/Motorola DCH3200 cbl box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PN50A450 w/ HT-Z515 home theater w/Motorola DCH3200 cbl box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
16:9 format

In reply to: PN50A450 w/ HT-Z515 home theater w/Motorola DCH3200 cbl box

also I have another question. when i look at standard format channels I get a full screen on my PN50A450 but when I look at HD channels I get the black bars at the top and bottom of screen. It should not be like that correct??? I went into menu on tv and I have 16:9 format set. I also have 16:9 format set on my comcast cable box and I also played with settings on cbl box and changed resolution from 720p to 1080i and that still didnt chg anything. can someone help please?? also if I remember correctly I could access JUST SCAN feature on picture menu screen and that seemed to adjust picture fine BEFORE i hooked up cable box but now since I have box connceted JUST SCAN is greyed out so

Collapse -
Aspect Ratio

In reply to: 16:9 format

It depends on the broadcast signal.

While some films note that they are 16:9 "widescreen edition", there are variances in the aspect ratio, particularly for movies. That is, "Flavors" of widescreen, if you will.

There are two "standardized" ratios that are by far the most common: Academy Flat (or "Flat") (1.85:1) and
Anamorphic Scope (2.35:1).

Here's a picture of them:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/AspectRatiosWidescreen.jpg

Now, depending on how they are broadcast by the provider (broadcasts often transmit the picture as it is, regardless of aspect ratio), that's how your television will receive it. You may want to use the "stretch" modes while watching, but the television is displaying the picture (with black lines and all) because it is being broadcast that way.

Just Scan allows you to see the full image without any cutoff when HDMI (720p, 1080i/p) or Component (1080i/1080p) is used. Any combination that doesn't match resolution/cable in either of these formats will disable the ability to enable Just Scan.

I hope that helps explain your scenarios. Let me know if you have any further questions, and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for purchasing a Samsung.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Depends on how you'll listen....

In reply to: PN50A450 w/ HT-Z515 home theater w/Motorola DCH3200 cbl box

PR627,

I would think in most applications, the best approach would be to go from your cable box to your surround sound system. The exception to that would be if you preferred to listen to the television through the TV speakers. Considering you have a surround sound system, that would be the route I recommend.

Cable box > Surround sound

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Depends on how you'll listen....

thanks for your assistance.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!