Computer Help forum

General discussion

plz help.. i m not able to access sites

by aqi_g / January 13, 2009 11:21 PM PST

Hi
I m not able to access all securit related sites such as, spohos ,avast,symentec etc,a and also microsoft.com.
my system specs are,
WINXP SP 2
160 GB HDD,
1 GB ram,
amd athlon 5000, 2.61 Ghz,
256 kbps Internet connection,
securty softwares insatlled:
avast home edition AV,
spybot S & D,
autorun virus remover 2.3

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plz help.. i m not able to access sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plz help.. i m not able to access sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry I've got a similar. if not the same, problem
by xxmuppetxx / January 13, 2009 11:33 PM PST

I do know that it doesn't matter how many times you re-install windows it won't change a thing..so don't go down that route...I've also found out that regcure doesn't work nor malwarebyte's anti-malware although they did pick up a few things...
From the research I've done over the past 4 days no one seems to have an answer...Everyone seems to be telling people to do the same kind of things which in my case don't work...
If I figure it out though I will post it here for you because I am understanding how frustrating computers can be...

Collapse -
Re: can't access security sites
by Kees Bakker / January 13, 2009 11:38 PM PST

A clean install of Windows brings the computer back to its initial state. If you could access security sites then, you can now, UNLESS
the router, modem or ISP are blocking them. That's very unlikely and easy to check by using another PC (laptop?) here or this PC elsewhere.

For the moment my assumption is that you didn't do a clean install. So tell more what you did when you 'reinstalled Windows many times'.

Kees

Collapse -
Here's my reply
by xxmuppetxx / January 13, 2009 11:57 PM PST

We'll previous to this problem I've re-installed windows 3 times before and had absolutely no problems...Once I've re-installed windows now it's fine but after I install windows service pack 2 everything goes wrong even though the only thing I've done, we'll since re-installing, is go on the windows update page to get service pack 2...After I've done that that's when the problems arise...
Also I've actually posted a thread about it on here called windows update issues or soemthing along those lines...I've followed grif's advice but after getting service pack 2 I'm back to square one...

Collapse -
SP2 should be installed BEFORE going online ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2009 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Here's my reply

as there are a couple of pieces of malware that can get you infected almost as soon as you go online that SP2 patched.

In the meantime y'all might also want to take a look at your HOSTS file (located in %WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ) and the hosts file to look at has NO FILE EXTENSION. It can be opened in NotePad or any other text editor and once open you can see if any security sites are being redirected.

Collapse -
About Hosts files
by xxmuppetxx / January 14, 2009 2:05 AM PST

You know when you open it up in notepad does it always show like every single website you've been in the past...also is there a way to pinpoint one website without having to read everything?
Thanxs...

Collapse -
It's okay I've figured it out
by xxmuppetxx / January 14, 2009 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: About Hosts files

you crtl + f and type in what you want to search then next...only problem is it doesn't show up anything of importance only a couple of websites about a windows scanner and that's it...and microsoft I didn't even get in a website...I tghink I should do a computer course...

Collapse -
If you have a lot of sites listed in the HOSTS file ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2009 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: About Hosts files

then either you (or someone else) has purposely downloaded and installed a HOSTS file (some sites make this available to prevent access to malware sites such as the one available here - http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html ) or you have contracted some malware that has installed its own HOSTS file to PREVENT your going to specific sites.

NO SITE will show up in a HOSTS file simply because it was "visited" - that would be in your profile's HISTORY directory and only for the length of time you have set for retaining history.

Collapse -
Hosts file
by xxmuppetxx / January 14, 2009 5:57 AM PST

Thanxs your a great help unlike me who's exceptionally clumsy when it comes to computers...am I meant to download what's on the link you've provided or is it just an example?...Honestly I'm not aware of putting anything on my computer but errrmmmmm everything thats wrong with my computer I have to blame myself for seeing as only I use it a hell of a lot....

Collapse -
That link to a hosts file ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2009 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Hosts file

was an example and before downloading please do read up on HOSTS files.

One very quick way to see if the HOSTS file is your problem is to simply rename it by adding a file extension (such as renaming it HOSTS.OLD) because with any extension your browser ignores it.

Collapse -
Okies this is what I'm feeling
by xxmuppetxx / January 14, 2009 4:05 AM PST

Go on another computer and have an empty disk at hand...and download windows servise pack 2 on to it...Is that the answer?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!