Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pluto on the chopping block

by Mark5019 / August 14, 2006 1:49 AM PDT

PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) -- Nearly 2,500 astronomers from 75 countries gathered in Prague Monday to come up with a universal definition of what qualifies as a planet and possibly decide whether Pluto should keep its planet status.

For decades, the solar system has consisted of nine planets, even as scientists debated whether Pluto really belonged. Then the recent discovery of an object larger and farther away than Pluto threatened to throw this slice of the cosmos into chaos.

Among the possibilities at the 12-day meeting of the International Astronomical Union in the Czech Republic capital: Subtract Pluto or christen one more planet, and possibly dozens more.

But the decision won't be an easy one. Scientists attending the conference are split over whether Pluto should be excluded from the list of planets, Pavel Suchan of the meeting's local organization committee said.

tell me this isnt so:)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/14/planet.meeting.ap/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pluto on the chopping block
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pluto on the chopping block
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couldn't they "grand father" Pluto into the line up?
by grimgraphix / August 14, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

If Walt Disney was alive this would never happen!

grim

Collapse -
That's essentially what they've done 'til now, BUT

Problem is, the one recently discovered even further out is larger than Pluto... Here's the (July 2005) discovery that led to the problem: Object Bigger than Pluto Discovered, Called 10th Planet.

>> Astronomers have discovered an object in our solar system that is larger than Pluto. They are calling it the 10th planet, but already that claim is contested.

The new world's size is not at issue. But the very definition of planethood is. It is the first time an object so big has been found in our solar system since the discovery of Pluto 75 years ago.

The announcement, made today by Mike Brown of Caltech, came just hours after another newfound object, one slightly smaller than Pluto, was revealed in a very confusing day for astronomers and the media. The new object, temporarily named 2003 UB313, is about three times as far from the Sun as is Pluto.

"It's definitely bigger than Pluto," said Brown, a professor of planetary astronomy. The object is round and could be up to twice as large as Pluto, Brown told reporters in a hastily called NASA-run teleconference Friday evening. <<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Seems to me ...
by Evie / August 14, 2006 4:05 AM PDT

... a planet in a solar system, as WE have defined such, is something that orbits the sun in some sort of largely reproducable manner/path. If they have to christen 100 more planets, so be it. Moons are objects that orbit planets. Who really knows how various moons came to be so. If a piece of "space debris" large enough to be captured by Earth's gravitational field thus held in orbit were to come around, then just because we've had one moon all these eons, shouldn't stop us from acknowledging we would now have two!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Your definition is way too simple, Evie.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 14, 2006 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems to me ...

It also would include asteroids and comets, as well as the "Kuiper belt objects." Clearly size is an important aspect of the definition -- the problem is, where to draw the line...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sometimes simple works.
by Evie / August 14, 2006 5:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the compromise they reached, Evie.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 15, 2006 11:35 PM PDT
Nine Planets Become 12 with Controversial New Definition.

>> The tally of planets in our solar system would jump instantly to a dozen under a highly controversial new definition proposed by the International Astronomical Union (IAU).

Eventually there could be hundreds as more round objects are found beyond Neptune.

The proposal, which sources tell SPACE.com is gaining broad support, tries to plug a big gap in astronomy textbooks, which have never had a definition for the word ''planet.'' It addresses discoveries of Pluto-sized worlds that have in recent years pitched astronomers into heated debates over terminology.

* The asteroid Ceres, which is round, would be recast as a dwarf planet in the new scheme.

* Pluto would remain a planet and its moon Charon would be reclassified as a planet. Both would be called ''plutons,'' however, to distinguish them from the eight ''classical'' planets.

* A far-out Pluto-sized object known as 2003 UB313 would also be called a pluton.

That would make Caltech researcher Mike Brown, who found 2003 UB313, formally the discoverer of the 12th planet. But he thinks it's a lousy idea.

''It's flattering to be considered discoverer of the 12th planet,'' Brown said in a telephone interview. He applauded the committee's efforts but said the overall proposal is ''a complete mess.'' By his count, the definition means there are already 53 known planets in our solar system with countless more to be discovered. <<

Personally, I'd exclude bodies located in the asteroid belt, so Ceres would stay the largest asteroid, rtaher than being a dwarf planet. The key is sufficient size to have a round shape:
Pluto's New Place in Space Could Be as a 'Pluton'
(Washington Post login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

Collapse -
Sounds like they are making it too complicated.
by Evie / August 16, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

I'm not an astronomer, and I don't play one on TV. "Planet" may not have ever been fully defined by atronomers, but the Average Joe has held my definition for a long time now, so why not go with that?

Does Pluto's moon orbit Pluto? Then it is a moon, I don't get making it a planet! Our own moon is larger than Pluto, so why don't we reclassify IT as a pluton? I think there's enough different about the asteroids that by size alone makes them unworthy of being termed planets.

If something much much further out from Pluto but much much larger is found, why does that have to change Pluto's status? That's almost like saying that if we couldn't previously see Jupiter, that when it was discovered, Earth is no longer a planet.

What's the difference between a dwarf planet and a pluton? Pluto is more than twice the size and mass of Ceres. Poor little Pluto!

Collapse -
Apparently Pluto/Charon is a "binary system," Evie.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 16, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

Rather than Charon orbiting Pluto or vice versa, they're both orbiting some point between them, which in turn is orbiting the sun. That's essentially because their relative masses aren't sufficiently different for Charon to orbit Pluto directly, so they have a "mutual influence" on one another's orbits around the sun.

Collapse -
Size matters?
by grimgraphix / August 14, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

planetoid

Main Entry: plan

Collapse -
You could.
by Dan McC / August 14, 2006 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Size matters?

But you'd still have to define the characteristics that differentiate asteroid, planetoid, and planet.

Dan

Collapse -
The age old question...
by EdH / August 14, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

If Mickey's a mouse,
and Donald's a duck,
and Goofy's a dog,
What's PLUTO?

Not a planet, apparently.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Clyde Tombaugh is spinning! :-)
by drpruner / August 14, 2006 6:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?