General discussion

Plugging Bookshelf speakers into a PC

This has been asked before, generally resulting in people being told to get a 'receiver' or amplifier. The problem being i have no idea where to start looking for said things.

Amplifiers, for the most part, seem the cheaper option, however judging by the pictures some sites have shown, they don't have the correct slots to plug bookshelf speakers(literally the red and black wires that slot into little clicky things) in. Is this achieved through some form of adapter, or am i just not looking hard enough (bearing in mind i'm aiming for budget)?

The best way to answer this would be to link an example. if someone can link me all i need at a reasonably cheap price, i'll find where they live and hug them.

Discussion is locked
Reply to: Plugging Bookshelf speakers into a PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Plugging Bookshelf speakers into a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Powered PC Speakers <20 Bucks...

You can get PC speakers designed for the job, amp built in to the speakers, for under 20 bucks, at like Best Buy:

Unless you are stuck on having the speakers you have, this will be cheaper and easier. The cheaptest you can get a new amp or reciever for, new, is about 100 bucks unless you get like a boombox.

Just about all stand-alone speakers will connect by bare wire in to those "little clicky" things, the speaker wire connector. If your speakers has plugs at the amp end of the wire they may be powered or came with some other amp / receiver.

In any event, getting powered PC speakers is likely your cheapest option and by far the easiest.

- Collapse -

i already have the speakers (christmas present mixup >.<), but by the sounds of it it will be easier to simply buy a new set of normal speakers for the pc. Thanks

- Collapse -
Not Normal Speakers

The Bose are "normal" speakers, you want PC speakers (may also be called powered), there is little doubt when you see them.

Perhaps the Bose can go in another place?

In any event, unless you have an old spare receiver or amp it will be hard to beat the price point of a set of PC speakers compared to adding an amp for your Bose speakers.

CNET Forums