Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

plugged in wireless?

by Starfish564 / February 26, 2010 7:44 AM PST

Ok, so this will probably sound like a stupid question. I'm wondering if it's possible to use a laptop for wireless internet while still plugged in only to an AC wall outlet for power? Providing there was a wireless internet source (like a router) of course.

Thanks!

Starfish

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plugged in wireless?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plugged in wireless?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nothing says a wireless connection means
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2010 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: plugged in wireless?

you cannot be connected to AC power. While wireless allows the additional freedom to roam withing the range of the transceiver, it doesn't require AC power to be disconnected.

Collapse -
Here's a fact .
by Coryphaeus / February 26, 2010 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: plugged in wireless?

A lap ALWAYS runs off the battery when the battery is in place. Plugging into an AC source just charges the battery. Plug in, unplug, your choice. Until the battery runs down.

Now.

Some laptops will run on AC power if the battery is removed and the AC power is plugged in. Check your owner's manual.

Collapse -
Thanks for that info
by Starfish564 / February 27, 2010 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Here's a fact .

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure. I do not have a laptop yet, am planning to purchase one soon which is why I'm researching things now. The battery question was going to be my next one. I've read so much (and differing opinions) on the subject of battery life and how to best care for them. I'm planning to get a Dell Inspiron and primarily use it around the house, so will ask customer support about whether I can remove the battery and run on just AC power when I'm at home. Thanks again,

Starfish

Collapse -
You don't want to take the battery in and out
by Steven Haninger / February 27, 2010 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for that info

Just leave it in. The more often you do that, the quicker you'll wear out what are often very weak locking mechanisms. While home, plug it into an outlet and, when away from AC, use it on battery. You'll find one thing with laptops is the energy saving mode does have some drawbacks in that they want to dim the screen and sometimes step down the CPU. Everything gets slower. As well, wifi consumes lots of power. Figure your actual battery life from full charge to danger zone to be about 1/2 what the manufacturer says and even much less as months go by.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.