Laptops forum

Question

plugged in, not charging (Acer Aspire 5920)

A few days ago, my Acer Aspire 5920 started having issues recharging. (The battery was not holding any charge anymore as it was lately btw.) I attributed the issue to the charger, seeing the chargers are always breaking. I bought a new charger yesterday thinking the latest one had once more died on me, but as it turned out, it is not an issue with the charger.

I was reading this thread:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19681_102-345945/plugged-in-not-charging/

But since my battery is completely dead and I'm unable to turn my laptop on, if I am having the same Vista bug I can't fix.

Should I go ahead and buy a new battery? Is it the culprit?

Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plugged in, not charging (Acer Aspire 5920)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plugged in, not charging (Acer Aspire 5920)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re:

In reply to: plugged in, not charging (Acer Aspire 5920)

Update: I put a new battery in and the computer is turning on, but it won't charge. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing in the device manager, but that's not it.

Down the list of things: it's not the charger, and not the entire motherboard. So maybe just the piece that charges? It's not visibly damaged, but it's not working. I'm used to opening up desktops, but not laptops (aside from changing laptop hard drives). How much does that part cost, if that's what it is, and could I dare toy around with it?

Thanks again!
Collapse -
There are only 3 parts to this system.

In reply to: Re:

Because of the battery fires a few years ago, makers will often not charge batteries that are not from the maker. This little detail is NOT in your posts. That is, the charger and battery are from ACER?

And there is NO REASON to tinker with the ACPI. Why? Because a good system will charge with the machine not running Windows. And Windows is not running so no ACPI code is running so I never have to do that to determine if the 3 parts are good or bad.

There is a new tip added to the forum sticky. Be sure the battery latches are in the latched position,.

As to the charger part of the motherboard, no maker is publishing schematics so you are very much on your own about that.
Bob

Collapse -
charger and battery origin

In reply to: There are only 3 parts to this system.

Hi again,

I'm on to a universal adapter now after the original ones kept dying on me.
This new battery is a from Laptopmate. Although, to note, the one I've had until now in the computer is the original Acer battery, and both the Acer and the universal batteries don't charge.

Battery, or no battery, the connector to the A/C outlet doesn't work. The status light showing the computer is plugged in and charging doesn't work anymore.

I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be worth throwing even more money at this laptop at this point.

Thanks once more!

Collapse -
As long as the charger and battery are not from Acer.

In reply to: charger and battery origin

All bets are off if it will work.

This is a very harsh lesson for some. Mostly those that paid for gear that does not work due to the venders installing lockouts of other batteries and chargers.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are 3 parts to this. BUT!

But if the battery is removed and it still won't turn on and the chargers are good we try the generic reset and then consider what parts cost.

GENERIC RESET is in this forum at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19681_102-3138013.html?tag=posts;msg3138013

The battery is not required on laptops so far to power up so when the power up fails on a laptop it's either the charger or the mainboard failure. Yes there are bum laptop jacks but most shops replace the mainboard.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Re:

In reply to: There are 3 parts to this. BUT!

Collapse -
(NT) Y can't I reply?I've used my laptop w/o battery,so I see

Collapse -
If you cannot reply

In reply to: Y can't I reply?I've used my laptop w/o battery,so I see

If you can only post a subject line and cannot post in the main area, close down the browser and try again.

If that fails, log out of CNET, close down the browser, reboot the computer then try again. You will need to log back in to CNET.

Mark

Collapse -
Re:

Thanks Mark.
Thanks Bob.

As I was saying, it is true that I have used my computer without the battery inside it in the past so I see what you mean when you say it is not necessary for start up.
For two days, I had to play around with the charger for the computer to charge; if I moved, it wouldn't charge anymore, thus that's why I suspected the charger was at fault. However upon trying a brand new charger, the issue didn't resolve itself.
I've already had to change the hard drive twice on this computer, so it wouldn't surprise me that now the mainboard is going too...

Collapse -
Answer
Blown fuse

This could be caused by a dead fuse on the charging circuit. You can check the fuse and the voltage of the battery with a multimeter.
Here is a guide how to check the fuse and replace it if it its dead.

Acer Aspire 5920G not charging the battery Fix

Collapse -
Answer
plugged in, not charging (Acer Aspire 5920)

A few days ago, my Acer Aspire 5920 started having issues recharging. (The battery was not holding any charge anymore as it was lately btw.) I attributed the issue to the charger, seeing the chargers are always breaking. I bought a new charger yesterday thinking the latest one had once more died on me, but as it turned out, it is not an issue with the charger.

Collapse -
Answer
Also have an Aspire 5920

I bought this machine for nearly nothing at a Wall Mart in 2008 and have been very pleased with it except for having the same issue.

This happens to my, now my daughter's, laptop once in a while. My solution has been, take the battery out, turn it over, remove the 8 or so screws holding the bottom access panel in place, disconnect the hard drive, removing it entirely from the connector, reseating the hard drive, and reversing all of the previous steps.

This solution was discovered by accident as the local Acer technician in Hong Kong also could not figure out the issue and was quoting me on a new motherboard, battery, etc. and I said no and that I would figure it out from here. He put it all back together and viola, it worked.

I have had to do this no less than twice a year since then.

Collapse -
Answer
stupid case of not connecting

I had a similar case of plugging in and not charging after I handed my laptop to our IT guy. It turned out that the new battery was inside the machine but this IT guy forgot to connect the battery cable, so it could not be charged at all. Smart people do forget basic things once in a while..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.