Laptops forum

Question

"Plugged In, Not Charging" Acer Aspire 5532

by dylank3392 / September 3, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

I have had this problem for about two days now with my Acer Aspire 5532, and when I run my mouse over the battery icon, it says "1% available (Plugged In, Not Charging)". I've tried everything from restoring the computer to a few days before when it was working, I have even tried the Device manager thing. It doesn't work. Can anyone please help me, because this is so frustrating! Help! Thanks,
Dylan K. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Plugged In, Not Charging" Acer Aspire 5532
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Plugged In, Not Charging" Acer Aspire 5532
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

How old is the battery, the machine and did you use the battery during those years?

Sadly the fix on old laptops is to try a battery first and hope the old battery didn't fry the circuits. If the new battery does the same, you change the motherboard.
Bob

Collapse -
Sooo....
by dylank3392 / September 3, 2011 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

It's about a year and a few months old. It was my aunts and then she got a new one, but the majority of the time she had it was plugged in, then, about two or three months ago, She gave me it and this problem just occured. When I got it I used the battery a lot, and then I would put it on charge and use it then use the battery again once it was charged...So I just don't know why it would do that!? My friend had the same problem and she had to replace the motherboard Sad I'm going to take it to the Geek Squad if I have to if I don't get any answers here.

Collapse -
Remember it's a 300 cycle battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Sooo....

And the cost of a geeks squad visit is usually more than a battery.

You find many folk in denial about these rather short lived batteries. While I keep handing out the advice to keep on AC at all possible times folk seem to like using the rather limited life battery.
Bob

Collapse -
No...
by dylank3392 / September 3, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

If I go to my local best buy and go to the geek sqaud, they look for simple solutions for free. When they need to work on it, they tell you and stuff. So yeah, it doesn't cost me a dime!?

Collapse -
2 ideas to try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: No...

1. The old generic reset (it's in the CNET Laptop troubleshooting forum.) Takes about 2 minutes and no files lost.

2. Research Battery Calibration on your model (I don't do that research for folk.)
Bob

Collapse -
Can you copy a link? I don't know what to look for!?
by dylank3392 / September 4, 2011 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 ideas to try again.

Can you please post a link because I don't know the thread title and I can't find it!

Collapse -
How to find that forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 4:25 AM PDT

Start at left and click on Laptops. The second forum listed is the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting Forum. The generic reset is in the top post withe the most replies. The ones with the sticky note on them,.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?