Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Plugged In, Not Charging

by NyQuan3 / November 6, 2010 6:32 AM PDT

Facts
- Dell Inspiron 1525
- Not Under Warranty
- Replaced Battery about a month ago with Inspiron 1545 Battery
- Clean the Circuits to battery
- Screw Down The DC Port Under Inspiron Sign Inside Computer
- In one post it said to reset the battery settings but not AC settings.
- Removing and Inserting AC Adapter -- In Sexing Style -- Which Is Temporary Working For Me.

One day after all was good the Plugged In Not Charging came up (AGAIN). I came up to a post to keep removing and inserting my ac adapter in my computer in sexing motion until it starts charging. It always works for me. And charges up 100%. I never let my battery go to 0 cause of hardware circuits. This is a Temporary solution to cause its still something wrong. Im suspose to plug it in and leave it charging happily.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem ,thanks, and sorry for my bad writing.

Im willing to fix anything hardware wise because im techy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plugged In, Not Charging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plugged In, Not Charging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds to me
by Jimmy Greystone / November 6, 2010 7:02 AM PDT

Sounds to me like you're probably lucky the laptop hasn't gone up in a puff of gray-white smoke.

You're using a battery and DC-in jack from a different system, which is dangerous at best. Laptops are highly customized hardware, and even very similar models should not have parts swapped like that unless the OEM says they are the same parts. Like the trackpads on Apple laptops haven't changed between the 2009 and 2010 models, so I can mix and match those as needed, but there's no way I'd take the DC-in board from one system and move it to another without checking first.

Count yourself lucky you haven't electrocuted yourself, the battery hasn't exploded, or set the laptop (and maybe your house) on fire... Yet. If you continue attempting to do what you're doing, you do so at your own peril. The only solution here, is to use the proper parts, not just grabbing parts that may look the same, but may have completely different electrical specs.

Collapse -
Tried This Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 6, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Access the ?Device Manager? .
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. Restarting Windows will have the same effect of letting Windows re-recognize the hardware and installing the correct drivers.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thinks Jimmy Greystone and Grif Thomas
by NyQuan3 / November 6, 2010 4:05 PM PDT

Inspiron 1545 uses the same battery as 1525. And i never had changed the DC port, I just screwed it down because it was loose. I already tried the Power Management solution but no dice. Everytime i uninstall it just stays there, like I didnt even touch it. Right now its 100% and charging just fine but scared that the same thing is gonna happend again.

Again thx for the suggestions.

- Dell Inspiron 1525
- Model Number --8BWZMF1--

Collapse -
This worked for me:
by tammie12469 / January 29, 2011 5:01 AM PST

While your comp is plugged in, remove the battery, type "device drivers" in the search box, right click and unistall both the APCI compliant control method battery, and the microsoft AC adapter, then replace the battery. Wait about 3 minutes, then restart the computer. Should take care of all of it. I did this with my Dell XPS M1530 laptop and it worked wonderfully!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!