Windows Vista forum

General discussion

plugged in, not charging

by OilSud / January 9, 2010 10:23 PM PST

My laptop battery meter constantly reads "plugged in, not charging" in the system tray and won't charge when the AC adapter is plugged in (even though the laptop draws power).

I have tried a number of supposed fixes and none has worked including:
- opening Device Manager, deleting then scanning to reset the ACPI
- cleaning pins and ports on the battery and AC slot
- changing the battery,
- changing the power adapter
-flashing the bios
- updating all drivers out of date
- tapping the laptop near the inspiron logo ('cause I read it could be a short)
- a series of variations on removing the battery shutting down and restarting with the battery in or out etc.

I can very rarely get my battery to charge by unplugging and plugging in my AC adapter. Sometimes after about 20-30 minutes of unplugging and plugging in the adapter it suddenly starts charging.

Note: each time I unplug and plug in the adapter the screen intensity lowers to reflect the battery power plan and then returns to brighter when I plug in the adapter. leading one to suspect that the laptop is drawing power from the ac adapter fine.

Reading on various support forums, it seems this is an intermittent problem for nearly all makes and models of laptop owners who all have one thing in common: Vista O/S.

So, the most likely reason for this problem seems to be an undiagnosed bug in Vista.

I run Visa ultimate 32bit on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

I am looking for help with this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plugged in, not charging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plugged in, not charging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:33 PM PST

Let's keep it simple.

1. Reinstall the OS per Dell's guidance.
2. If that fails call Dell and arrange for repairs.

In closing, Dell's battery is rated for 300 cycles so maybe it's an old battery?
Bob

Collapse -
plugged in, not charging - help needed
by OilSud / January 11, 2010 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: 2 steps.

thank you.

I should have mentioned that I reinstalled the OS and even swapped my battery for a known good battery about a month ago and it made no difference.

Reading other forums it seems that people are encountering this problem frequently even on new laptops from all manufactures (as well as older Vista OS laptops). Most manufacturers try to exchanged the AC charger and/or battery before giving up and returning the units to depot for replacement of the motherboard which requires a warranty.

Many posters in other forums suspect it is a Vista glitch that is meant to prevent batteries from over charging and that eventually a Vista update or patch will solve the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone had correctly diagnosed the problem yet?

Collapse -
The deal with new machines is simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2010 1:18 AM PST

It's in warranty and you don't give up. You keep on the maker till its fixed.

Some will not follow this path and end up in a bad situation.

-> Try this? -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3211649&tag=forums06;posts#3211649

Again, if it's a maker defect, get it fixed. As to being Vista I've seen some thousand laptops with it working and less than 10 with the problem. All 10 were fixed with a fresh OS reload according to the maker's instruction. Sadly this gives me a narrow view of what's up here.
Bob

Collapse -
plugged in, not charging (part III)
by OilSud / January 17, 2010 6:05 AM PST

thank you again Bob,

So far I have re-installed Windows Vista Ultimate twice. No luck.

Then I took my laptop to a local shop specializing in batteries and chargers and tried swapping out 3 different AC chargers and two known working new batteries. The good ol' "plugged in, not charging" never went away much to everyone's astonishment.

I came across this posting below which points to a known design flaw with Dell Inspiron 1525s. Something about unshielded cable between the controller chip on the Mother board and the ID chip pin in the AC adapter.

http://getsatisfaction.com/dell/topics/inspiron_1525_cmos_battery_problems_again

my Dell is from early '08, so the standard 1 year warranty is over. I doubt Dell will take responsibility for any design flaws.

I hesitate to just give up and buy a new lap top. Any advice on getting Dell to repair the problem without paying too much ?

Collapse -
If that is so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 7:47 AM PST

Then motherboard replacement is the fix. I read your post as if it did that since day one. But failures outside warranty are costly to fix. Keep laptops in warranty unless you are ready for the repair bills.

If it's cosmetic but annoying yet still works why fix it?
Bob

Collapse -
Same type issue
by machone10 / July 5, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: If that is so.

FYI--I have a Gateway M-6827 that had the same problem (plugged in, not charging)--resolved after trying your solution with dumping and reloading the ACPI; the only difference--I had to do it in safe mode. So far so good. Regards....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.