Computer Help forum

General discussion

Plugged in an IDE hard drive and now my computer won't boot

by deeerock / July 31, 2007 2:56 AM PDT

My dad's computer went down so he gave me his IDE hard drive to try and get the files off. So I plugged it in as a slave (all jumpers were out so it should be a slave drive). I have my vista OS running off a SATA hard drive. I then booted the computer computer and it said something like "bad boot, insert installation disk and hit enter". I then unplugged the 2nd IDE drive and tried to start up my SATA vista drive by itself and it came up with the same error. Is there an easy fix for this or do i have to try a vista system restore?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plugged in an IDE hard drive and now my computer won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plugged in an IDE hard drive and now my computer won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: all jumpers were out so it should be a slave drive
by ChuckT / July 31, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

That is a bad assumption. it may be true for some drives, and I know it is not true for others. You should verify at the manufacturer's website to find out what the correct jumper configuration it. Or just tell us your drive model and we can tell you the jumper settings.

Also most new computers are now using "CS" (Cable Select) settings for the IDE interfaces. With CS it is the position on the IDE cable string that determines whether it is master or slave.
Note: some CS cable setups make the end connector the (considered) master and the middle connector the (considered) slave. But other cable configurations have that reversed.

You said you unplugged the 2nd IDE drive, but do you have a 1st IDE drive? perhaps a CD or DVD drive? If not, you can't say that having a SATA drive counts as an IDE drive, it isn't.

If your current IDE drive (assuming you have one) is set for CS, then it most likely will be in the "master" position, and if you set your dad's drive as CS and install it on the unused connector, of that same string, then it will appear as "slave."

Collapse -
still not workin
by deeerock / August 2, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

K now i tried the 2nd IDE hard drive on cable select and plugged into the middle ribbon connection. I start up my computer also with my windows vista OS on the SATA connection and it tries to start up my dads windows and of course fails. How do i get my dads IDE drive to not start windows here? THanks for the help.

Collapse -
Look in the BIOS setup
by ChuckT / August 2, 2007 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: still not workin

A computer will have at least several bootup devices determined in the BIOS settings. Some computers have the ability to boot with a SATA drive, or perhaps even the ability to boot from a slave drive, or even from a plugged in USB device. (Bootup settings are getting more and more elaborate - I can't be specific here.)

From your responses it sounds like your computer has a SATA bootup drive, until you then plugged in your dad's IDE drive. At which time it now wants to boot up with dad's drive. IF that is correct, then I'd say just check your BIOS settings.

It also sounds like your BIOS might have auto configured. That is, assuming your computer boot up was using your SATA drive, but then you plugged in your dad's IDE drive. At that time your startup 'saw' the new drive, and perhaps it noticed the 'new' drive plugged in. At that time your computer may have even displayed a message that it detected a new configuration (maybe something like "Press <F1> to continue, or press <F2> to enter setup.")
If you had taken the "continue" path then your computer changed to using the IDE drive for bootup. The fix here also is to just get into the setup again and put things back the way they were.

(If you tell us the make and model of your computer we can, maybe, look up specifics. No promises here.)

Collapse -
Second hdd boot priority
by anmor / August 2, 2007 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: still not workin

You still hav'nt answered ChuckT's question about having a first ide drive, you keep on about a second ide hdd, but on reading you first post there is no mention of an existing ide hdd prior to installing this one, only a sata hdd. They are not the same.
If I understand you correctly, you have one sata drive with Vista on it, the boot drive.
You want get data off a second hdd, which is ide.
If that's true, then your ide drive needs to be set as master on the ide channel, that means it must be connected on the end of the cable not the middle.
If you only have one ide connector on the motherboard your cd/dvd has to go in the middle set as slave.
You now have to set your bios boot hdd option so that the sata drive, which is your boot drive is the first hard drive in the boot order.
Save the new settings before exiting bios, then reboot.

Collapse -
pins
by draculawon / August 9, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

no pins shorted(covered) usually means master or single drive, change the sata drive onto another sata input, leave it as the master, then place your dads drive pin selection on cs or slave, if you choose cs be sure that the ribbon is connected by the middle plug on the ribbon and not the end. this should fix your problem. You may also need to reset the bios in the setup screen, exit using setup defaults.

Collapse -
sata drives not recognised after plugging an IDE drive in
by ade9999 / August 13, 2009 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: pins

Power down pc and remove all drives apart from the bootable SATA drive.

Go and boot into pc bios and select something like load (restore) default safe values or something similar, (only have the SATA boot drive connected), (disable fast boot up options) on reboot enter BIOS and ensure that the SATA drive is now picked up. then reboot and xp or your os should boot up.

Connect the IDE drive into an external hard drive enclosure wich conncects via usb cable to pc (check jumpers set to master) and transfer files as required.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.