Storage forum

General discussion

plug in external hard drive?

Hi,

I want to purchase a hard drive with 100+ gb of space, but I don't want to have to have to install any software in order to use it.

I will mainly be using it with macs, and on the apple site I found the smartdisk firelite, an 80gb for $379, but it's available elsewhere for $300. But I also found the Shecom hard drive and the La Cie Lacie D2 hard drive on cnet. I'm not sure whether they require cd installation, though - it says you can just plug it in, but it doesn't specifically mention (like in the smartdisk description on the apple site) that cd installation is not required.

So do the Shecom and/or Lacie hard drives require software installation, or is there anything which has more than 80gb of space (the max space of the SmartDisk Firelite devices)?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plug in external hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plug in external hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:plug in external hard drive?

In reply to: plug in external hard drive?

"I want to purchase a hard drive with 100+ gb of space, but I don't want to have to have to install any software in order to use it."

How do I answer this? An OS is still needed on most machines which we get to install. For some OSes, a driver is needed and on too many machines the USB 2.0 that you want is not supported without updates to the OS.

The update for windows is noted at http://www.usbman.com

I don't think you'll find such an animal.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:plug in external hard drive?

In reply to: Re:plug in external hard drive?

Sorry, I don't think my wording was clear...the macs I will be plugging an external hard drive into all have OS X and the works, it's just that often times when using an external drive, you first have to install the included software cd-rom in order to use the external drive.

However, there are some externals that don't require cd-rom installation (like the 80gb smartdisk firelite). But I'm looking for hard drives with more space than 80gb, but the same easy plug in method as the smartdisk.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:plug in external hard drive?

In reply to: Re:Re:plug in external hard drive?

I've used the various drive cases from http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAS#Drive%20Cases and fit 160GB and such drives inside. Some like the ADS claim for some OSes no drivers are needed. The ADS notes the OSX as such. Just a week ago an 160GB drive was after rebate just $49, so that gives you an idea how cheap such things are.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.