Peripherals forum

General discussion

plug a PCI card on a laptop ??

by djnellio / October 31, 2005 6:20 PM PST

Hello,

I'd like to plug a PCI card on my laptop. Are there some adapters allowing to plug a PCI card in USB or PCMCIA (others ideas ?) ?

Thanks !

DJNellio

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: plug a PCI card on a laptop ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: plug a PCI card on a laptop ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2005 8:44 PM PST

USB and PC-CARD Video cards and more discussed at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=96&threadID=131549&messageID=1484032

Bottomline? It doesn't help if you are trying to fix a laptop that doesn't have a great 3D chipset. But do read the discussion so you will know what is out there.

There are also USB to PCI and PC-Card to PCI adapters, but these are too slow for gaming and card support is non-existent in many cases.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
USB to PCI and PC-Card to PCI adapters for my TV card ?
by djnellio / November 1, 2005 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Just discussed.

Actually the aim is to plug my tuner TV PCI card on my laptop, so I guess the requirements are less demanding than for a video card...

"There are also USB to PCI and PC-Card to PCI adapters, but these are too slow for gaming and card support is non-existent in many cases."

-->> These kind of adapter are exactly what interest me !!

Do you know where I can buy it (I prefer a shop that can send to UK or France, but any other could give me an idea !) ?

Do you think it will work fine with a TV card ?

What do you mean by card support ? Drivers ? Somebody to ask in case of pb ?

Collapse -
A TV PCI card would be very demanding. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 5:47 AM PST

Most TV cards use a direct map of memory to the VGA buffer so the CPU is not involved. This hardware is non-existant in the cards that were under discussion.

Besides said adapters are more expensive than an USB TV device.

Bob

Collapse -
a link ?
by djnellio / November 1, 2005 7:30 AM PST

OK, I guess you are right ! Thank you for these advices, that I are perhaps not written on an adapter seller's website !!

Anyway do you have a link to this kind of device (only for curiosity) ?

Collapse -
Link supplied.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: a link ?

Under my "just discussed" post, devices were noted. Unless that was the wrong post.

Anyhow, there are USB to PCI card devices out there, but I can flatly state a TV card will not function.

Bob

Collapse -
PCMCIA to PCI
by danielcolchado / January 5, 2006 10:44 PM PST

Hi, i found few systems, but they're too expensive.... 1 of it is the MAGMA www.mobl.com/expansion/ other is the STRATEGIC www.strategic-test.com/ pci_docking_stations/overview.html. I hope it can help you.

D

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?