PC Hardware forum

General discussion

pls help, problem while formatting

by sujatha_ / May 15, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Hi,
I have an AMD sempron 2600+ running on MSI VIA K8M800-CE mobo. Initially I had both dvd-rom and HDD with IDE connections. A few months back I had to change DVD-rom and I bought a new sony dvd+/_R 24X SATA drive. Both Dvd drive and hdd were working fine (IDE HDD AND SATA DVD drive). I have 2 XP prof sp2 operating systems in C and F drives. I am using F drive for internet purpose. Recently my avast anti-virus started giving alerts of virus detection. After trying with different anti-virus software I thought of formatting the F drive. I took a backup of all the content, set BIOS first boot to CDROM and inserted xp PROF SP2 CD. It took a long time (about 5 minutes) for it to say 'Windows is starting' and then I got this blue screen. stop: 0x0000007b (0xf79ba524, oxc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Then I have logged into F drive first and then started xp cd this time when it asked for new installation or repair or exit, I have choosen new installation. After a reboot, during formatting process, it has given this error:

Setup cannot find a CD-ROM drive.
Make sure your CD-ROM is on and properly connected. If it is a SCSI cD-ROM drive, make sure your SCSI devices are properly teminated. See your computer or SCSI adapter documentation for more information. I want to format F drive. What should I do now?
- AMD sempron 2600+
- MSI model ms-7142
- 2x512 ram ddr
- 160 gb seagate hdd

- cpu-z shows that ram is ok
- BIOS boot sequence is cd-rom, hdd, floppy,
- In DVD drive Properties - Hardware tab, Device properties is showing "Device status: This device is working properly".
- I have installed SATA DRIVER G72-VASA052, which was given along with mobo, on both C drive and F drive.

Is it ok to use IDE hdd ALONG WITH SATA DVD DRIVE?
I don't have any technical knowledge on Hardware so please tell me, what I should be doing now, in simple words. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pls help, problem while formatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pls help, problem while formatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
problems reinstalling XP Prof. after infection
by Brechan / May 15, 2010 4:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, I guess it can be any of these three problems
by sujatha_ / May 15, 2010 10:37 AM PDT

Thanks for your support. I don't understand if it is virus problem or driver compatibility with XP or if it is still identifying the old ide drivers I used for the cd-rom I removed. Here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205874 they say that "Setup detects the real-mode CD-ROM drivers and disables them". The ide cd-rom I used previously has been removed from the mobo, it is not there. But I have not uninstalled any ide drivers. Should I try doing that?

I dont think it is driver compatibility with XP issue, because I bought the PC in 2004 and MSI will not manufacture anything which is not compatible with XP. At that time most of the systems used to run on XP, I guess.

Do you know any Free online virus scan and removal website which is effective?

Collapse -
SATA issue
by Willy / May 15, 2010 10:01 AM PDT

XP OS doesn't supply a native SATA driver, so that's your issue. You need to visit the support website for your CD drive and get the driver. However, because this usually is done for HD drives and you're using a SATA CD drive, it gets confusing. In fact, you're in a catch-22 situation. I suggest you borrow, find or get another IDE CD drive in order to proceed. I think the only reason you got any response from the SATA CD drive is because its using a "bios legacy setting" otherwise, it wouldn't have gotten as far as it did. If you like get the SATA driver from Sony, make a bootable floppy or CD(nope) and proceed. If you have no floppy drive, nope either. Google for this issue; I suggest XP SATA driver install.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thank you so much
by sujatha_ / May 15, 2010 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: SATA issue

That was a much simple. I could understand that easily. I will try to find an IDE cd-rom among my friends or get a sata drive for xp from the Internet. Thank You.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?