General discussion

Pls help! CPU usage in task mngr between between 60-100%

I have had this PC for 18 months with no problems, but yesterday my computer started stuttering and I was unable to run certain programs without severe lag!

I checked the CPU usage in the Windows Task Manager and am finding it to average around 70 to 80%, even when I don't have any applications running.

I rebooted in SAFE mode to see if this still occured and it did.

I have used Ad-Aware SE, spydoctor, spybot to check for spy/ad ware and I seem to be ok.

I also have Norton System Works and ran the basic scans.

I have no clue what I should do/try next.

I wanted to ask u guys, before I do something damaging to my PC.

If anyone can help, please let me know!!!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Pls help! CPU usage in task mngr between between 60-100%
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Pls help! CPU usage in task mngr between between 60-100%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Diet, Try This....

Your operating system would sure help here, (If XP, which Service Pack?) but please try the steps in the links below. It should help clean things up a little.

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

After following all the procedures above, if you're using Windows 2000 or XP, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

- Collapse -
As Griff says, specific OS would...

certainly help.

There are many times that my own CPU usage soars--means the computer is working.

With that handy dandy Task Manager though YOU can look at the processes and Click ONCE on the CPU heading and it will place all high usage processes at the top of the list making it VERY EASY to determine which processes are getting an inordinate amount of CPU time.

Once that is known it becomes fairly easy to track down whether it is a problem or a matter of priority (priority is assignable--just right click on a process and assign what you want IF you know what you are doing).

High usage often turns out to be caused by a scheduled task you have forgotten about.

CNET Forums

Forum Info