Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Please use the spell check utility before sending a message

by Raymond Griffin / October 31, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

No-one is perfect, but if you are using Windows you surely could take time to use the spell checker. I know that all respondents are intelligent persons, but
the spelling is terribly poor!! Your high school English teacher must shudder if (she/he) reads these responses!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please use the spell check utility before sending a message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please use the spell check utility before sending a message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Please use the spell check utility before sending a mess
by Mark5019 / October 31, 2004 12:32 AM PDT

some dont have my mozilla dosnt have such
cant get it to work ok sorry if it offends dont read i guess

Collapse -
Dont know if this works in mozilla it works in Firefox
by gearup / October 31, 2004 9:55 AM PST
Collapse -
by Fish / October 31, 2004 1:34 AM PDT

Im not aware of spell check being offered in this forum Ray,regardless of ones OS.If misspaled woids bothher u I suggest you use another forum as I comme hear ovtin. >))))*>

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 31, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

Mr. Raymond Griffin.
I'm not sure exactly who it is that you are scolding but you should keep two things in mind. First of all, this is an International Forum and some people have to have someone translate things just to use it and the second thing is that I doubt if anyone besides you really cares. Plain

Collapse -
Raymond...
by William Randall / October 31, 2004 1:48 AM PDT

Raymond,

You are not the only one who is taken aback by this. Some of us expect that 90% plus of those "guilty" are likely American citizens who are either too lazy to have learned or don't care.

I've been around these forums long enough to know that it does no good to complain.

William

Collapse -
by Harv / October 31, 2004 3:46 AM PST

You're treading on a slippery slope regarding this subject. I made a similar suggestion last year and was overwhelmed by stinging rebukes. Happy

Although I agree with your comment to some extent, spell checkers are limited in their ability to correct misspelled words. If the word exists in its data base, the spell checker lets it slide through. For example, if I wrote, "He don't (instead of doesn't) know better" or "That work (instead of word) is misspelled", the spell checker will let those "errors" slide through.

Even though I consider myself a better than average speller, I do find myself committing the occasional boo-boo. BTW, I checked this message with ieSpell before submitting it. LOL

Collapse -
Here is spell check utility which works in ...
by Mosonnow / October 31, 2004 4:32 AM PST

all Internet "answer boxes" (at least for Internet Explorer):

http://www.iespell.com

I personally don't think it is important for a forum such as this, as long as a message can be understood as intended, but for more formal purposes, the above is a useful tool.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Here is spell check utility which works in ...
by Mark5019 / October 31, 2004 5:45 AM PST

and if you use ie it wirks but if you use mozilla i cant get the spell checker to work Sad

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 31, 2004 5:52 AM PST
Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 31, 2004 6:54 AM PST

i tried glenn thanks ill use ie for this forum whem im not on poker

Collapse -
Re: Here -- neat tool! NT
by caktus / October 31, 2004 6:58 AM PST

q

Collapse -
by Dale Johnston / November 1, 2004 9:49 AM PST

I see you are still around, after all? Good! Happy

Collapse -
Please use the spell check utility before sending a message
by dawillie / October 31, 2004 9:39 AM PST

AFAIK this forum posts do not come with a spell checker.

are you suggesting we all use notepad and spell check b4 we C&P here?

the informaton we post has to do with computer security.

i do not believe that anyone is being deliberately obtuse.

I mean if someone says ' I have a virus' it really should not matter if virus is misspelled?

I do not recall seeing any of your posts here either by way of information or help/ advice.

so are you trying to start a flamefest?

while you are at it, please post the link to which you allude.

Collapse -
Actually, one would hope the high school teacher
by Dale Johnston / November 1, 2004 9:48 AM PST

would concentrate on what is important, which is the problem being related, not the manner in which it is presented.

By the way, I trust this means that from this point forward you will reference the eng-uk dictionary in your own spell-checker? After all, as everyone knows, that is the only true source of English, anything else is simply a corrupt, mongrelised version of the original. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He he...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 11:22 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) He he...
by beachbum77979 / November 6, 2004 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) He he...

wood spill checkers core wreck dismiss?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.