Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Please talk to me like a child, I know NOTHING about this!

by ambercascade / December 15, 2008 7:27 AM PST

I want to get internet service for my home. I live in zip 37217. I have NEVER had anything but dial up from AOL, and I haven't even had that in about 6 years. I am currently using my BlackBerry as a modem, which is slow and irritating. Our apartment complex has some sort of an exclusive deal with Comcast so they are my only option as far as DSL goes. I would like to avoid using their service at almost any cost. I only need something fast enough for uploading pictures, watching video online, downloading updates and the like. When we moved in here, I was able to pick up signals from Netgear and Belkin on my laptop. With these services is there a security issue? Do you puchase the hardware and pay a monthly fee? Do you have to get internet service through another company? I don't really understand how this works, and I am wondering if this would be a better option. Also, what all would I need to buy? I have an HP laptop that's just over a year old with Vista and a built in wireless card. Any other alternatives would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please talk to me like a child, I know NOTHING about this!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please talk to me like a child, I know NOTHING about this!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unless I'm mistaken . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 16, 2008 6:18 AM PST

Comcast is cable internet. It kills DSL as far as speed and if you want to upload, you need it.

All you need is a wireless router, no monthly charge if you buy your own. Depending on how the apartment is set up you may need a modem, you'll have to check with them or Comcast. Just set up your wireless modem and have it talk to the laptop. It's really easy. Just use the Quick Start CD that will come with the router and it'll set up everything and security.

If you can pick up other signals, how secure do you think it is?

Collapse -
I know little but I will try to help
by leebaker / December 20, 2008 1:14 PM PST

The Netgear and Belkin you see on your laptop are someones routers that are hooked to their owners Dsl or cable internet service.

The systems can be unsecure or secured, using the unsecured ones is easy just click on one and you are connected to someone elses internet service not smart and I don't know if it's legal.

The secured one you will need to know the logon key.

If you want wifi call comcast and see what they offer dsl or cable then get a router hook it to your cable or dsl modem
all work some better than others.

If you already know all this then you are as smart as I.

Collapse -
hello neighbor
by mementh / December 20, 2008 3:34 PM PST

Howdy neighbor, I just so happen to be in the 37217 area.
I also happen to be a comcast rep and wanted to help you out. (on forums for my own fun since i love Buzz out loud so much and I am not representing comcast but trying to assist as much as I can.) (I was actually heading out after a long and difficult call @ 1:20 am (was supposed to be out @ 12:30)

other advice about the security and other wireless networks is correct.. don't use them imho because of there insecurity.

First, in reguards to your unwillingness to use Comcast, may i broach the subject as to why? (It might be something I can work on or resolve)

We do have three Tiers of speed, a 1Mb 6Mb and 8Mb.
The 6Mb and 8Mb are available in a promotion of 19.95 for the 6 and 29.95 for the 8 for the first 3 months.
The 1Mb plan is our slowest and is 24.95/month normal cost and no promotion.
(the prices I am quoting assume you have some video service even our limited service for just local channels. I can go into that more if you want later)

If you want to call in tommorow (since I am off the phones for the night) you can ask for Luke ext 52276 (NOTE: This is only the nashville call center I can not assist in other areas nor woudld asking for me help since we have many call centers and we route based on local area)

I get in about 3:30CST depending on call volume I might not be able to check the forums for a while.
If I have time before work I will check the thread and reply if you have more questions.
(Forum mods I am not sure if this is allowed in the rules so if not please edit/remove per Forum rules)

Take care and I hope I have not scared you away from here.

Collapse -
Thanks all!
by ambercascade / December 22, 2008 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: hello neighbor

Thanks to everyone for your replies and help! I think I am starting to understand this a little better.

Luke, I appreciate the message. I have determined that I am going to end up going through comcast after all so I will call you sometime next week. I still have my reservations, but it is very nice to have someone to call directly!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!