TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Please recommend a 32" LCD HDTV

The short of it:
Can anyone recommend a good 32" LCD HDTV that's suitable for bedroom use (news, sports, Xbox 360) that has relatively good sound and picture quality w/o requiring a surround setup? Ideally I'd like to stick to the $600-$800 range if possible.

More: The wife and I decided it would be nice to have an HDTV for the bedroom, and our furniture setup allows for up to a 32" LCD. We don't need anything extravagant as this will not be our primary TV. I'd like it for watching news in the mornings and sports in the evenings/weekends. Plus it'll be a bonus TV for the kids when mom and dad are tying up the living room television, etc. We'll also be hooking up an Xbox 360 via component and an up-converting DVD player via HDMI. I do NOT wish to have any type of receiver/surround setup in my bedroom--too complicated. I just want built-in speakers that sound good.

I bought a Magnavox 32MF231D at CC last week. The SD and HD picture was beautiful (IMO, limited as it is). But the audio was HORRIBLE. The speakers were so "tinny" and high-pitched--anytime a sports announcer enunciated an "S" or "T" it felt like my ears were going to bleed. The speakers seemed to lack any sort of mid-range... it was highs or nothing. I retuned it ASAP. My 10 y/o RCA tube TV sounds better.

Circuit City, Wal-mart, Best Buy--they are all too loud and busy to test audio on these TV's very effectively, so I am looking for help.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please recommend a 32" LCD HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please recommend a 32" LCD HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have two. . .

In reply to: Please recommend a 32" LCD HDTV

32" Westinghouse and a 27" Westinghouse. I'm completely satisfied. And acceptable sound (for small speakers).

Collapse -
Westinghouse

In reply to: I have two. . .

I would also recommend westinghouse. My pops purchased a 32" from ecost.com and refurbdepot.com.......ENJOY your new set.

Collapse -
A little more on Westinghouse...

In reply to: Westinghouse

Thanks for the recommendations on Westinghouse.

How is the speaker quality (highs/mids/lows) on those units? Do they scale well for various input resolutions (480i/p, 720p, 1080i)? Do either of you use one with a gaming console?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Speakers. . .

In reply to: A little more on Westinghouse...

What can you expect for small speakers? They are not designed for "rich" output. But I bought a set of Bose laptop speakers. They kick butt. No gaming, just Dish Network High Def.

Collapse -
LCD speakers

In reply to: Speakers. . .

True, but the "tinny" audio quality of the Magnavox speakers isn't attributable to their size so much as their composition and range of frequencies they can handle.

I've never seen the Bose speakers you mention (thank you for the recommendation, tho), but I'd imagine the drivers in them are not much bigger than what's in the Magnavox LCD. It just surprises me that a nice quality TV manufacturer would skimp out on sound when Philips/Magnavox is known as much for their boomboxes and radios as they are for TVs.

That said, I'm confident some of you folks out there can recommend a good LCD with fair audio quality. Afterall, I have a "soundbar" attached to my Dell 19" LCD computer monitor (hey, there's an idea!) that produces quality, full sound w/o a subwoofer, and it is definitely smaller than the speakers on the Magnavox.

I'm gonna go check out a Westinghouse this weekend. If anyone else has any recommendations, I'm all ears!

Collapse -
And look at the sBose. . .

In reply to: LCD speakers

They have a reputation for getting bass out of small speakers. Trust me on this. Or look at any of the better laptop speaker sets.

Collapse -
searching to TV

I am looking to purchase a TV too and wanted to let you know that Consumer Reports rates Magnavox much higher than Westinghouse in every category but one so I would be sure and check out the West. carefully before purchasing as you have already returned one TV. I was considering the Magnavox for a bedroom situation but will now carefully check the sound.

Must say I am sick of researching and reading about TVs as I still don't know what to buy.

Collapse -
I know what you mean!

In reply to: searching to TV

I understand completely. About the only thing I am SURE of is which TV I want to put in my living room, which is a Sony KDS50A2000. The reviews are great, and I've been able to see the product firsthand at several stores locally and it is beautiful.

I'm lukewarm about Consumer Reports. I tend to find my best advice in online forums from actual users who have used products in a variety of settings as opposed to just a testing lab. Even Cnet makes a fair crack at reviewing TV's in various environments.

But this bedroom TV has me stumped! The Magnavox was a great TV, just with lousy speakers. Part of my hesitation on buying a new model stems from the fact that this is my first LCD TV experience, so I have nothing to serve as a barometer here (except for the Mag).

If it helps, I have checked out AVSForums (careful... that web site is a monster!) and found that brands such as Westinghouse, Apex, Vizio, Sceptre... they are all decent, but not sensational. It's a lot like owning a Saturn: once you ride in a friend's Lexus, you just don't look at your car the same way anymore.

As a result, I've decided to up my budget a bit to $900. I'm also considering a Dell LCD, as their speaker quality is supposed to be bar-none and the picture is allegedly on par with the Magnavox or better.

Collapse -
Got just the one for you

I would HIGHLY recommend the Vizio 32". I just purchased the 37" and am completely satisfied. the only downfall is that it isn't 1080p. but with the way things are set up these days, you wont notice the difference on anything less than 40. Go to costco.com to purchase the vizio 32" it has 2 hdmi and practically anything else you want. Of course its hdmi 1.2 not 1.3, 1.3 wont becom standard until at the end of the year at the VERY earliest. The Vizio is a blast, and you can even purchase warranty for it too, i'm about too. Its 700 for the 32 and 900 for the 37" best of luck to you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.