Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Question

Please read harder than sounds. Mic issue

by tmurray7004 / December 9, 2014 10:43 AM PST

I have a HP revolve 810 on a slim line docking port.
Windows 8.1 pro
Computer Bios up to date
Docking port Bios up to date
Windows wiped off and reinstalled
New docking station
second computer with this issue
Sound and audio drivers deleted and reinstalled and up to date
Windows up to date
Tried with 3 different mics, all three work on other computers
No issues that windows sees
Windows up to date
Disabled on board mic in bios

If I plug a mic into the port on dock it sees the line in but registers no sound. registers on internal mic, so disabled t in bios with no luck. can see everything on dock and use it just fine, second dock. If I plug headset with attached mic, I get sound but no voice registered. Spoke with HP many times they have no ideas. Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please read harder than sounds. Mic issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please read harder than sounds. Mic issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There's your clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 11:04 AM PST

You're in what looks to be the unsupported area of a clean Windows install. "Windows wiped off and reinstalled"

Not only would you need the drivers installed in the order HP tells you but there may be helper apps required. Sorry but only HP may know the recipe.

Yes, you talked to HP but their support is a zero here too. long story so back to the supplied OS and try again.
Bob

Collapse -
Mic issue
by tmurray7004 / December 9, 2014 9:04 PM PST
In reply to: There's your clue.

Thanks Bob. Yes agreed on all. Have worked with hp on reinstall of windows twice. Different techs. Order did it seem to matter. The best I can get out of them is its a windows issue, which I don't totally disagree but windows sees the device it just will not function. Leads me to software issue but DTS audio software is installed with same results. So puzzled. Windows sees it but two different software apps can't access it. Thanks once again.

Collapse -
I wish I knew the exact formula.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Mic issue

The basic clean Windows install is pretty well known but as hardware got more complex beyond the usual OS and drivers you have apps. HP seems to have dismissed any notion that folk will load another OS. Sony did that years ago.

That's why I think you may be stuck with the supplied OS. The dock only complicates it further. If HP can't get it to work, then you should go for a refund and try some other machine.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!