Cameras forum

General discussion

Please rate these ultra-compact cameras..

by g_harikrishnan / December 13, 2006 3:11 AM PST

Please rate these cameras:

1. Casio Exilim Z750
2. Canon SD600
3. Sony DSC W50
4. Nikon Coolpix S5/S9

Please rate them based on the following 3 requirements:

* Easy to use.. Manual features not going to be used much.
* Good and clear photos.
* Cost effective.. This camera is to gift a person who has very little knowledge on Digital Photography and would take just casual snapshots.

Your rating would help me a lot in gifting this to the person on his B'Day!!
Please suggest..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please rate these ultra-compact cameras..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please rate these ultra-compact cameras..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ultra Compact Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 8:17 AM PST

I cannot rank them on the basis you outlined.

Easy of use and cost effective is a relative thing.
It depends upon a point of view.

All except the Nikon S5 produce good clear photos.
Sample shots from the S5 show out of focus on one edge.
I don't know about the Nikon S9, it has not been reviewed as yet.
And I have not seem sample photos from the S9.

The Casio Z750 has manual controls and will have more settings to deal with.

The Canon, Casio and Sony have viewfinders which will be very helpful on bright sunny days.

The Sony W50 has the lowest price.

Here is a look at their specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd600%2Ccasio_exz750%2Cnikon_cps5%2Cnikon_cps9%2Csony_dscw50&show=all

Collapse -
Price
by g_harikrishnan / December 13, 2006 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Ultra Compact Cameras

You had mentioned that the W50 is the one with the lowest price.. But i thought The casio Z750 has the lowest.. Well i may be wrong though..Thanks for that info..

Frankly i'm leaning towards the Casio EX Z750 coz it has an amazing battery capacity (about 360 shots) and the picture quality is really good.. Is it really easy to use as most reviews say??? And also the brand; i know casio is not the nest of brands in Dig. Cameras but does it produce good ones.. I'm concerned with Z750 is it a good camera?? Whats your opinion.. Would a new user who knows little about digital photography be able to use the Z750?? Well all i'm concerned is, i want a camera that is easy to use and should click good looking photos.. Does casio serve that purpose and about the price...

Finally do you recommend the W50 or the SD600 over the casio camera..?? Please give your frank opinion..

Collapse -
Casio Z750
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 14, 2006 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Price

If I were to pick from that group of three, I would choose the Z750 because it has manual controls. I like manual controls.

The Z750 may be lower in price now, since Casio introduced the Z850.
The Z750 has been very popular from the day it was introduced and no real complaints.

But.........I do not recommend the Casio Z850.
There is an unresolved problem with the Z850.
They have released at least two upgrades to the firmware for the Z850, and according to complaints from users, the upgrades made the situation even worse.

Collapse -
Auto mode..
by g_harikrishnan / December 14, 2006 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Casio Z750

Thanks for that i i=understand that you would pick the Z750 since it has the manual controls.. What if a person is not bothered about the manual controls or more rightly never would use manual adjustments, Then what would his choice be.. I mean, using the automatic settings and the screen presets, which camera delivers best image quality..

SD600 is behind the group in terms of battery.. But i'm willing to trade-off anything when it comes to ease of operation and image quality..

Hope you understand what i'm looking for.. If you wanna suggets someother camera too please do so.. Thanks a lot..

Collapse -
Canon SD600 - Casio Z750 - Sony W50
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 14, 2006 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Auto mode..

Three peas in a pod. - How can you select one pea from a pod?

Looking at sample photos, their is little to no difference in image quality or lens sharpness.

Looking at their specifications, only minor differences

Regarding the Z750....you don't have to eliminate it just because it has manual controls. The controls are there, but you don't have to use them.

Here is a link to their specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd600%2Ccasio_exz750%2Csony_dscw50&show=all

Notice the red stars in each column. That indicates the rating given to the camera by owners of the camera.
Looks like a tie to me.

Right under the red stars is a link to owners opinions.
I suggest you read what owners have to say about their cameras.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?