Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Please insert a disk into drive D

by Ericrb1972 / February 16, 2008 11:22 AM PST

I have Windows XP and am using a CDW / DVD R/RW. I have used it in the past to burn CDs. Tonight I am trying to insert a movie disc and no matter which movie I insert, nothing autoplays. In addition, when I click the drive in explorer, it says please insert a disk into drive d. I have tried a number of different movies to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Eric

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please insert a disk into drive D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please insert a disk into drive D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please insert a disk into drive D
by garwatts / February 16, 2008 9:51 PM PST

I have exactly the same problem. One drive NEC DVD/RW (internal ATA) works fine - the other LITE-ON (Iomega USB external) says please insert disc....

I have made no software changes and this drive has worked well for the last 2 years......

Any thoughts?

Regards

Garry

Collapse -
Have you tried rebooting
by Daviddude / February 16, 2008 11:02 PM PST
Collapse -
"The drive has worked well for two years."
by Kees Bakker / February 16, 2008 11:24 PM PST

Period.

Try it on another PC before you throw it away and buy a new on. Just to check the (unlikely) case that it hasn't gone south.

Kees

Collapse -
Clarification
by Ericrb1972 / February 17, 2008 12:01 AM PST

Thanks for the response thus far. The drive still works fine for burning CD's, recognizing programs, autoplay etc...Where I run into a challenge is when I put a DVD to copy into the drive. For some reason, software like AnyDVD for example is still prompting me to put a disc into the drive. Sorry if my original post wasn't completely clear.

Thanks,

-Eric

Collapse -
Have you tried
by Daviddude / February 17, 2008 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification

Reinstalling AnyDVD? That might fix it.
Also check the settings of AnyDVD so see if some setting lost it's value, or was added a new value as the result of another program change.

Collapse -
So ...
by Kees Bakker / February 17, 2008 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification

it reads CD's and doesn't read DVD's? That's typical for a broken drive.

Or do you mean to say that only AnyDVD refuses to recognize the disk, and Windows Explorer, for example, sees the contents?

Kees

Collapse -
It reads...
by Ericrb1972 / February 17, 2008 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: So ...

It reads CD's but is not reading DVD's.

Collapse -
Try the drive in a different computer
by Daviddude / February 17, 2008 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: It reads...

as suggested before.

what are the results of that? Does the drive read DVDs when in another computer?

Collapse -
That's a classic sign of a dead or failing drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: It reads...

Try the usual last rites with the lens cleaner.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.