General discussion

Please help with the weird language that has

taken over my computer. Background history.
Brand new motherboard and CPU professionally installed and when booted up it starts ok with normal XP windows logo then goes into a symbol type font............none of which I can understand. All the icons are the same then occasionally when you click on an icon to find out what it is there is ENGLISH for example Leane's F drive or whatever. Can anyone help? I have checked in languages and it is the right number down for English.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Please help with the weird language that has
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please help with the weird language that has
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
M first thought

Since this hardware change was carried out professionally, my first thought is to take it back and ask them to put it right.

Did this professional resource reinstall Windows? If so, what did they use to do that, your Windows Setup CD or some other Setup CD they had?

Mark

- Collapse -
New help now :-)

Hi Mark, he said it was my registry problem and wanted to charge me more to fix it??? sounded like he could make my computer into his wage source so I said no its ok I will look into it when i got home. Have tried everything I can think of and now have just finishing reinstalling windows. But sadly in the interim have of course lost my documents and photos. Mainly because I couldn't tell where or what to copy. Strangely now though I can not get the network adapter or video controller or pci bridge controller or the sm bus controller to work they keep showing yellow question marks.

- Collapse -
When you reinstalled

did you also install the drivers? A new install, (or reinstall), needs the motherboard/chipset drivers as well as others, eg for the network card.

Did that reinstall solve the language problem?

Glad you avoided that 'repair man'. It could have meant you would have needed a very deep pocket!

Mark

- Collapse -
where was the reinstall done?

what country? what language?

- Collapse -
what country

I live in New Zealand and the language it should be in is English but it was in symbols rectangles dots hearts almost like web dings

- Collapse -
kia ora :-)

maybe it was Maori Wink

- Collapse -
LOL

now, why didn't i think of that Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info