Samsung forum

Question

Please help with my new Samsung UN46ES6100F TV

by CreepingWolfman / December 24, 2012 1:04 AM PST

Hello everybody. I purchased a new Samsung UN46ES6100F TV a couple of days ago. I upgraded from a nearly 4 year old 40inch Sony Bravia LCD.

The picture quality is so much better for the most part but I've noticed some strange things with it. Sometimes while watching either a movie or a show that's on TV while the camera is moving to follow a persons movement the picture will like skip/stutter a little bit.

Also, I've noticed with some Blu-rays of older films (I haven't watched a newer movie yet) say there is a white/lighter background and a person with dark hair is in the foreground walking by, the area around their head will become sorta fuzzy or blurry looking. I don't know if those are normal glitches with an older film on Blu-ray or what but I never noticed things like that with my old TV.

The menu has so many picture and advanced picture options that it's overwhelming me. I don't really understand what many of them do haha. I've read about buying a calibrating disc but I haven't gotten that far yet. I have already updated to the latest firmware 1025.0 as well.

So, can anybody offer some help? I don't really feel that the TV itself is defective or anything like that. It just seems like it's something to do with all the video options that can be tweaked like auto motionplus , LED motion plus, digital noise filter etc.. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help with my new Samsung UN46ES6100F TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help with my new Samsung UN46ES6100F TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How I figure out if it's the source or the TV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 1:15 AM PST

My video player has a freeze frame and I can advance the image one frame at a time. If the blue is on the frozen frame then it's the source or the player.

As most older video was only 480 lines and seen on much smaller screens the move to big screens and 1080 means we can spot flaws that before were unseen. This can create all sorts of questions like yours.

The move to digital compression inserts a lot of artifacts, and your note about blur around moving objects is sadly a sign of such compression. The idea was that motion can blur but still items must be clear. This blur changed from a pretty soft blur in old 480 line days to often blocky images and again, can upset those that see it for the first time.

I don't know of anyone that has written all this up yet.
Bob

Collapse -
:)
by CreepingWolfman / December 24, 2012 1:42 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. One film I was talking about is "The Shining". An example is when Jack is walking through the hotel lobby for his interview, I noticed the area around his head was blurry with the lighter background behind him.

Collapse -
That scene I happen to remember.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: :)

My old DVD was horrible and the new director's cut was better but there is blur there due to image compression and we are blowing up the image a lot more than before.

Again to tell if it's the TV or the source we use freeze frame,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!