Cameras forum

General discussion

PLEASE help with First Camera decisions!!!!

by tootsie / December 2, 2003 8:31 PM PST

Which camera under $250 would anyone recommend buying for a beginner??? Need advice badly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE help with First Camera decisions!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE help with First Camera decisions!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:PLEASE help with First Camera decisions!!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2003 10:05 PM PST

I found a HP 812 refurb at compgeeks.com which was 4 megapixels, ran on AA batteries and does a 3X zoom. I like the size and weight of the camera and pictures at its 3 star (out of 4) setting are good for what I need them for. The camera was 227USD.

At 4 megapixel, the optics will begin to show an issue and in this one you see the trade-off from more lens to more pixels. But I am happy with the balance.

Look at http://www.dpreview.com for more reviews of what you are looking at.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:PLEASE help with First Camera decisions!!!!
by Stanley / December 3, 2003 8:50 AM PST

you also need to check the flash memory that the camera uses and make sure it is compatible with your system it can get expensive to buy added flash memory and pictures are pretty big files especiallly at 4 megapixels. many of the cameras come with a flash card big enough for just a few pictures so count on spending money there too.

Collapse -
Fuji E500
by MuzzlesGirl / July 27, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

I am also an older person (52) who was once in your same situation. I decided on the Fujifilm E500 camera that was mentioned in an earlier reply to your post. It has a viewfinder and a larger image screen than most.I purchased it at tigerdirect.com about 2 years ago for about $250.00 along with a mini tripod for about $10.00. It has many extra features as well but no need to worry about those til you get use to your camera. Just set to auto mode and take pictures as you use too with your older camera. Also, you may want to consider one of the fine printers that have slots for your memory stick for easy photo uploading without the use of a pc. Most of the printers today have many features that allow you to edit them right on the printer. Much luck to ya in your search. Photography is suppose to be fun so relax and begin snapping.
Sincerely, Cathy G.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.