Cameras forum

General discussion

Please HELP with digital camera purchase

Please HELP! I cannot make up my mind about which digital camera to purchase. I know that I want to get at least a 5.0 megapixel. I have been looking a lot at Canons and Sonys.

I bought a Sony DSC-W1 at Circuit City tonight but after reading some of the reviews here tonight I don't even dare open the box.

Can anyone please give me some feedback on what are the best buys out there? I will be using the camera with my family...especially capturing moments with my 2 small children (2 and 6 months). I would like to get a camera that doesn't have a very long shutter lag as little ones move very fast. However I don't want to sacrifice photo quality. Photo quality is extremely important to me. I do plan on enlarging some photos, mostly around the 8x10 range, but maybe as high as 11x14. Also, I am somewhat of a photo enthusiast (I love my SLR) and like the idea of being able to choose aperature or shutter speed settings.

I have tried to do research on my own but just can't seem to find THE camera....any suggestions are appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please HELP with digital camera purchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please HELP with digital camera purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DSLR for the long-term

In reply to: Please HELP with digital camera purchase

Despite the fact that you've been using SLR camera, I think that DSLR will fulfill your requirements, especially for photo enlargement and shutter lag. The DSLR does work as good as the film SLR. Personally, I don't consider Sony a good camera. Nikon and Canon has built far much better camera, in many regards. The quality of picture taken by DSLR is far much better than that of compact digital compact camera. If you've been using either Canon or Nikon for the past 10 years, most Canon and Nikon lenses are reapplicable to your new DSLR camera.

Consider your enlargement, I don't suggest anything lower than 7.2 Megapixel ( consider 300 x 300 dpi resolution ). Currently, most DSLR now goes for 8 Megapixel. And you'll definitely need at least 1GB compact flash memory, unless you carry a labtop around. X-drive ( compact storage ) is another alternative for that. I've been using my SLR film camera for nearly 2 decades and still love it. In many circumstances, such as low light condition, the old Canon EOS 5 SLR still outperforms my new Canon 20D. As the matter of fact, the film camera represents the DSLR camera at the resolution around 22-23 megapixel. So, keep your old film camera, just in case you may need it !

Any way, good luck.

Collapse -
Digital Cameras

When you look at low shutter lag, the Sony W1 is excellent, with a lag of only 0.2 second.

Since you have a SLR camera, you should have no problem with the quirks of the W1 camera.

The W1 selects a slow shutter speed under low light and flash situations. This results in blurred photos due to not holding the camera steady enough for that slow speed.

You can go to manual mode and set a faster shutter speed and higher ISO setting (if necessary) and overcome the problem. It is something you should not have to do with a point-and-shoot camera. But with your knowledge of cameras, it should not be a problem.

But there are also other choices:

1. The Canon A95 is a good choice, and you will love that swivel LCD. It has all the manual controls too.
The shutter lag is 0.6 second

2. The Canon S500 is a nice small camera but it is point-and-shoot with few manual controls. And it has a rather slow shutter lag, 0.8 second.

There is one sleeper on the market that you should look at:

3. The Fujifilm E550...a 6 megapixel 4X zoom camera.
Functionally and optically it is the same as the more expensive Fujifilm F810. The E550 sells for about $340. The shutter lag is 0.4 second. It has a full set of manual controls.

Review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilme550/

Then there are the new cameras that were introduce in February. Most are not available right now but will become available in the next few months. There is just not enough information available yet, to make recommendations on these:

All 5 megapixels:

Canon SD400
Casio EX-P505 and EX-Z57
Fujifilm Z1 and A350
Kodak Z730 and C340
Konica Minolta E50
Nikon 5600 and 5900
Olympus Stylus Verve S, D595, D630, IR300
Panasonic LZ2
Sony W5

5 megapixels with big zoom:

Konica Minolta Z20 and Z5
Kodak Z7590
Panasonic FZ5
Sony H1

Collapse -
good camera to try

I just bought a fugifilm e510 digital camera from QVC on their easy pay plan, I really like the camera and they also give you 30days to try, or return with no hassle. I am new to these digital cameras, i 1st bought a mustek, from HSN, being new I didn't know better and I kept it, in a case but i have it, don't like the terrible pictures but love the fugi e510, it is very easy but you need to get a bigger memory card than what is supplied, only good for about 12 pics, I got a 256 xd and its great, try this camera, I think you will be happy, I hope you check out QVC.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.