TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PLEASE HELP WITH AVR TO MANY DIFFERENT REVIEWS!!!!!

denon avr-4308ci denon avr-3808ci pioneer vsx-94txh onkyo tx-sr875 onkyo tx-905 sony str da5300es

WHICH ONE OF THESE FOR MOSTLY MOVIE VIEWING? I HAVE READ TOO MANY DIRRERENT REVIEWS FROM TOO MANY DIFFERENT MAGAZINES AND EVEN CNET AND CONSUMER REPORT AN SEVERAL DIFFERENT WEB SITES, SOUND AND VISION MAGAZINE,HOME THEATER MAGAZINE,AUDIOHOLICS.COM AND ULTIMATE AV MAGAZINE. THEY ALL LIKE DIFFERENT RECEIVERS, CAN SOMEONE HELP?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE HELP WITH AVR TO MANY DIFFERENT REVIEWS!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE HELP WITH AVR TO MANY DIFFERENT REVIEWS!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nice choices

In reply to: PLEASE HELP WITH AVR TO MANY DIFFERENT REVIEWS!!!!!

if you can afford hi-end Denon, seems to be a sure bet...

have you considered separates??????? i think you can afford them

try this:
Integra 9.8 pre/pro $1.6k

any multi-ch amp, new or used, for $1k-2k from the following choices

Sunfire, NAD, Emotiva, Outlaw, Rotel.

roughly 3k total, and you will be a happy dude.

Collapse -
Receivers

In reply to: nice choices

I agree, I sell most of those brands and I would either go with the high end Denon or separates. Denon has very good power, drives pretty much any speaker system, very good processing, very smooth detailed sound. Separates will give you even more and it's usually easier to upgrade in the future. You'll hear just as much difference going with a Rotel or other separate preamp/amp combination.

Collapse -
pricey

If you can afford the Onkyo TX-NR905, then that is one fine piece of electronics. But most of the ones you listed sound nice. You can do separates, as suggested...but for convenience and features, I think a high end receiver with enough power would be good for you.

Collapse -
enough power being the key

In reply to: pricey

too many things we dont know about the OPs setup and usage. way too many.

the 905 is the only Onkyo, period, that has torroidal transformers. All the separates-brands that I listed exclusively use them AFAIK. More efficiency.

Outlaw is pretty sweet stuff. Did you know that Rotel bought some Outlaw stuff, wrapped it up with their own casing, and sold it as their own? True story, and seems to commonplace within the AV industry.

Collapse -
Yes, when serious about power, torroidial transformers are

In reply to: enough power being the key

to seek out. Interesting, jostenmeat, that you heard of such a Rotel/Outlaw thing. I presume you heard that from an in the know dealer. This sort of thing didn't just begin yesterday.

Collapse -
Bill, more on Outlaw

In reply to: Yes, when serious about power, torroidial transformers are

they are used in the Snell/BA factory as well.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Stahl89/SnellBAFactorySale

And another person says at the Outlaw site, there's a thread where they opened up their 300w outlaw amp, and the innards were identical to a $10,000 Lexicon.

I was mistaken about Rotel = Outlaw. Sorry to Rotel, though using Outlaw does not seem to be anything to be ashamed about. It seems Rotel was re-branding APC power conditioners, and that it was Atlantic Tech that was rebranding Outlaw:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42367

Collapse -
Onkyo TX-NR905

In reply to: pricey

hey man, thanks for the info. I have a question, I have heard that the only problem with the Onkyo TX-NR905 is that when switching from one device to another there is a loud poping noise and a long delay before it switches. It is said that it is even in the user's manual.
have you heard about this problem?

Collapse -
Several capable choices.

Please give us some details indicating what you want to do & how committed you are to the idea.

I succumbed to prestige of more than I needed but can not regret my Denon 4806 bought at model year closeout. Yes, I am a Denon fan as well as having a history with NAD & Rotel for instance.

Todays upper end models are truly powerhouses. I am just not a fan of Pioneer or Sony audio. I acknowledge the classiness of the Onkyo, especially the 905 if gotten at most competitive price. And the Denon 3808 is oh so capable.

Jostenmeat rightly points out your possibilities for separates or pre-amp & among brands such as Outlaw, Emotiva, & maybe Sunfire as well as the traditional step up brands NAD & Rotel. They are more plentiful & so greater possibilities exist of factory refurbs with full warranty & really favorable price.

Please refocus away from redundant information overload. All the brands I mentioned may very well do the job for you. Sort through comparisons of that smaller group in order to delect with confidence.

Collapse -
MOVIES, MOVIES

In reply to: Several capable choices.

We mostly watch movies. My room is 16 x 20 and kinda loud, tile floor.
My 50" Plasma TV does the upconversion to 1080p, that is one of the reasons I am having a hard time choosing. No need to be redundant with up conversion to 1080p is it? I have a Playstation 3 for DVD'S.
So where do I go now? Which unit? I have Paragigm monitor 9 fronts and paradigm surrounds and center and 12" subwoofer.

Collapse -
I approve of your speaker choice as I too use Paradigm for

In reply to: MOVIES, MOVIES

my A/V setup. I am not a big home theater/surround fan, but the Paradigms serve me well. I am an old audio guy & have B&Ws for my personal, old fashioned stereo music listening.

Being overly bright & echo prone due to tile floor is a challenge. I really believe I would study it out & save money for nice, deep pile area rugs.

Use the PS 3 until new BluRay players prove even better with reasonable price.

My slight edge to Denon over better value Onkyo is based on my absolutely solid Denon experience & C/NET gives Denon an edge for both sound & greater reliability. Just to flesh things out, I would take a look see at Outlaw, Sunfire, Emotive & especially NAD as NAD is usually available as authorized facrtory refurb at Spearitsound.com.

Your current search is closely parallel to what several of us have done before, so we would like you to form an actual opinion on what you can get showroom access to & report back to us with opinion along the way. Access relatively sucks in lightly populated areas. In the past I had actually planned cross country vacations around access to high quality showrooms. This decision is important enough to actually travel when possible to audition in person. You get very informative info from dealer personnel if they go beyond the typical push what they have there to sell attitude.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.