HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Please help --- Vista Hangs up!!!

by shumonsaha / October 8, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

Hi. I have recently loaded Vista Home Basic in my Acer Aspire 5920 laptop. The configuration is 1.86 GHz, 2 GB ram, 160 gb hard disk, Core 2 Duo...

After installing it was working fine. But suddenly it has started hanging up after some time of switching on.

I have not installed any new software. But tried to use an earlier restore point too. Has not helped.

I have Kaspersky antivirus 2010 in my machine.

Can anyone help as my laptop is no longer within warranty.

I had XP loaded earlier and same problem had inititally happened. Acer sent my a Hotfix which solved the problem.

But now I have vista in my machine. Cannot go back to XP.

Please help.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help --- Vista Hangs up!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help --- Vista Hangs up!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 2:08 AM PDT

I'm going to share that installing Microsoft Windows (any version) is not easy enough. Just look at this discussion -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

It's no better with Vista. You still must find drivers but worse than that you must get the maker to supply an INSTALL PLAN. Miss one driver and the CPU runs at full tilt and may overheat and lockup.

My advice? Use the Acer System Recovery media next time.
Bob

Collapse -
Vista Hangs up - Tell a little more.
by shumonsaha / October 8, 2009 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell a little more.

Hi Bob. thanks for your help. This is the first and only reply till now.

But I have all the drivers in a cd. Where can I get an install plan since my laptop warranty is no longer there.

Please let me know.

thanks

shumon

Collapse -
Look at the example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 8:52 PM PDT

First, I don't have your machine's install plan. I have learned that laptops are the hardest machines to install the retail versions of Windows to. We hope this improves with 7.

Now I see you asked again how to install Windows. The plan must be from the laptop maker. THEY KNOW.

But those restore CD/DVDs are the right answer. If you disagree that's fine but after dealing with this issue a few thousand times my lesson is to get those restore CDs and use that.
Bob

Collapse -
Vista hangs up!!!!
by shumonsaha / October 11, 2009 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Look at the example.

Hi Everybody.

Thanks for the replies.. But finally, I gave it to the service centre and asked them to fix up..

I think, next time I will go for a desktop... Laptops seem to have more problems and parts are more expensive. Also repair cost..

Am so tired and frustrated with mine!!! And its only 1 year that I bought this one !!!

Collapse -
"My way or "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2009 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista hangs up!!!!

No, that's not me saying that. Even on desktops installing Windows is not easy enough. Again we hope this changes with Windows 7.

To avoid all this grief, always get your restore media made and if you decide to install Windows from scratch be sure to demand from all parties those all important instructions. Look at that HP. If you install the sound driver then MS UAA then no sound. The order matters.

I think for most it's going to be their way of installing this OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob !
by shumonsaha / October 13, 2009 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: "My way or "

I finally gave it to the service centre. Thankfully I found out that Acer service centre here charges a very nominal service amount (unless parts change is required).

They fixed it... Working fine...
And yes, it was something to do with the installation. It seems they have a vista oem cd with acer drivers installed automatically and in correct order.

They cannot give me an install plan. So, it means that if my computer crashes... I have to go back to them again.

Lets hope it doesnt !!! Do you know whether I can use system restore next time if there is a problem?

thanks for your feedback.

Happy

Collapse -
Or ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2009 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob !
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.