Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

please help. task bar problem

by laoleng / November 15, 2006 8:20 PM PST

my kid did something on my laptop (window XP). Now the task bar appears on the right hand side of screen. How do I do to change its position back to the bottom of the scr4een.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: please help. task bar problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: please help. task bar problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: please help. task bar problem
by Tufenuf / November 15, 2006 9:15 PM PST

laoleng, Follow these instructions:

Note: You may have to first right click the Taskbar and unlock it.

My Taskbar moved to the left, top, or right side of the screen.

It is common for users to mistakenly move their Taskbar to the left, top, or right side of the screen while working on their computer. If you wish to return the Taskbar to the default position (the bottom of the screen), follow the below steps.

How to move the Taskbar

Moving the Taskbar is simple once you understand the basic steps involved. To move the Taskbar, move your mouse cursor to where the time is currently displayed on the Taskbar. Once your mouse cursor is over the time, click and hold the mouse button down, and while holding the mouse button down, move your cursor to the middle edge of where you want the Taskbar to be. For example, if you wish to return the Taskbar back to its original position, move the cursor to the bottom center of the screen. When the Taskbar has moved to its new location, release the button.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000127.htm#21

Tufenuf

Collapse -
My taskbar went double wide
by mbb / March 6, 2008 2:43 AM PST

My taskbar went double wide while I was trying to hide short cuts. I was sliding the dotted bar to the left when, bam, the whole thing went double wide.

I can move it all over, side to side and top to bottom, but I can't get it back to single width. XP Pro w/sp2.
mbb55

Collapse -
Re: My taskbar went double wide
by Tufenuf / March 6, 2008 2:51 AM PST
Collapse -
My taskbar went double wide
by mbb / March 6, 2008 3:30 AM PST

To Tufenuf,
Thank you, thank you. It worked just as described!

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it worked & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / March 6, 2008 4:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
by webannie / July 13, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

I know your posting was not recent, but I have had a moved (and yet unlocked) taskbar issue for weeks that I could not resolve! Even the infamous MS could not help me, and your simple message of WHERE to seize the bar, allowed me to return the bar to where my brain needed to see it. I am eternally grateful!

m (a retired web designer/developer)

Collapse -
(NT) thank you very much. I got it.
by laoleng / November 16, 2006 10:24 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / November 16, 2006 11:29 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?