Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Please help - Removing one of my XP operating systems!

Hello,

Somehow by trying to install an older version of Windows XP over a newer one, due to my newer one being un-genuine i managed to get one of these dual boot things!

This is making my system extremely slow and the graphics are really affected. I know that i can make my computer automatically start up the first one but i really need to completely get rid of the second one so my computer gets back to it's normal self. I've formatted the drive (D:) i don't want but it hasn't made any difference.

Is this possible to do or shall i just wipe my hard drive and start again?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help - Removing one of my XP operating systems!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help - Removing one of my XP operating systems!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bluntly NO.

In reply to: Please help - Removing one of my XP operating systems!

A dual boot menu does not slow down a machine. Never has.

But to fix this is a piece of cake and discussed at least weekly in this forum. But be sure you know which to remove from BOOT.INI.

Hint: Type EDIT BOOT.INI into google.com for more detail.

But once you fix that, the machine should still be slow.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks - one more question if i may?

In reply to: Bluntly NO.

Thanks for the help and sorry for asking this question as i have just seen how many posts are posted about this.

I've been reading about boot ini thing and it seems way over my head and i think i may end up breaking my computer as i've read it can be risky doing this.

My computer was so fast before and i can't cope with it being this slow - if it's not the dual boot thing then i must have done something wrong when i was faffing about trying to install the op system.

Would wiping my hard drive and installing windows again (once and only once) solve the problem do you think?

Sorry for being a pain...

Collapse -
Or System Restore to a date before the "event".

In reply to: Thanks - one more question if i may?

Details are very slim but if I had my XP CD (not some restore CD) I can rebuild a blown boot.ini in seconds.

As far as risk goes, all you need to do is remove the menu item you are not using.

Bob

Collapse -
Done It!

In reply to: Or System Restore to a date before the "event".

Thank you, i've done it!

My graphics seem a lot better now but like you said my computer is still really slow, don't know why. Think i might just throw the thing out the window!

Collapse -
Ok about slow. Things we can do but...

In reply to: Done It!

Need more details.

With each post you see those words in red? Please tell make and model and maybe I'll find a driver package for your machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, sorry..

In reply to: Ok about slow. Things we can do but...

Ok...As you might have guessed computers aren't my strong point so what i think the make and model of my computer is might not actually be what the make and model is???

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
1.85GHz

Collapse -
Sorry, but there are multiple makers of the chipsets that

In reply to: Ok, sorry..

Host said CPU. You may see Nvidia, Via or SIS names.

Make and model are crucial to getting the right package for your motherboard support.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.