HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

!!Please help!! Random reboots?!

by fordf150xlh / June 5, 2004 4:54 AM PDT

I've just built this computer 2 weeks ago and i'm about to toss it I can't figure out what is wrong with it. It reboots itself all the time, an average of 5-6 times in an hour and ussualy instantly when I'm in a game. I know it can't be the video card becuase it still does it even when I run the games in software mode to see if it the video cards fault. I'm getting really stumped here and am lossing my patience. Nothing is overclocked and it's all on standard setup, everything is updated with the newest drivers and windows updates but this has always been a problem with it.

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
MSI Motherboard
256x2 RAM
Ati Radeon 9600 256MB VideoCard
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1ch SoundCard
DVD ROM
48x Burner
X-Infinity Case
80mm Fans x6

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: !!Please help!! Random reboots?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: !!Please help!! Random reboots?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:!!Please help!! Random reboots?!
by Yew / June 5, 2004 5:06 AM PDT

My first guess would be that your power supply is inadequate. I'd say you're wanting at least 350W for a setup like you have (400W would give you some room to grow), and not just any 350W power supply either. A quality one that can actually deliver 350W of power, which most el cheapo power supplies can't.

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by stephensac2000 / June 6, 2004 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
One item. . .
by Cursorcowboy / June 6, 2004 9:22 PM PDT

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
Re:One item. . .
by Yew / June 6, 2004 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: One item. . .

While in general, your stock response is useful, this one isn't too hard to figure out. The fact that the reboots happen just as you'd expect a pretty massive power draw to start (i.e. starting a game, and firing up the 3D aspects of the video card) is a pretty clear indication of what the problem is.

So, go troll the MSKB for useless answers to someone else's problem. Give them a nice technical document that they probably can't understand, because if they could, they'd know it didn't even relate to their problem. Still, at least that would have the appearence of being useful. This post of yours was an even bigger waste of your time. Unless I am right, and you're letting a bot troll the forums under your name and it posts most of these useless stock responses.

Collapse -
Take it somewhere else.
by Cursorcowboy / June 7, 2004 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:One item. . .
Picture yourself near a stream.

a. Birds are chirping in the crisp, cool mountain air.

b. Nothing can bother you here. No one knows this secret place.

c. You are in total seclusion from that place called "the world." The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

d. The water is clear.

e. You can easily make out the face of the person whose head you're holding under water.

Feeling better?
Collapse -
Yes, Please Do!
by Yew / June 7, 2004 7:24 AM PDT

Comments asking for details that won't help solve the problem are a waste of everyone's time. As are answers that aren't really answers to the problem at hand. Please do take them somewhere else. Just to show there are no hard feelings, I'll keep you at the top of my list of people to contact the next time I need a completely useless, space filling response to a question.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.