HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Please help novice buy camcorder for recording child's music

by EsmeH / October 22, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

I have such a headache trying to figure out from the dozens of reviews which camcorder would serve me best.

I am confused about what type of camera...tape/DVD/ memory stick, etc. My computer doesn't upload DVDs (but I suppose I could get the software necessary) so I wasn't contemplating editing capability, but maybe I should....Latest technology seems to be direct to hard drive, but then I would need to be able to burn that to a DVD....as I do want to be able to copy and send DVDs.

I think my specifications should be:

good in low light
good image stability
best possible sound quality with microphone jack (which kind ?)
good quality visual image

My price tage is around $5-600.

I do need to make this decision as someone wants to take a recording of my daughter to share with some important folks in Europe. Could be a great opportunity for her!

I appreciate any and all input........I do see that Sony, Canon and Panasonic are the three most mentioned brands, but then all have so many different models and options!

thanks,
Susan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help novice buy camcorder for recording child's music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help novice buy camcorder for recording child's music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OK, looks like I want tape of HDD....which has mic jack?
by EsmeH / October 22, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

I went to a big box store to speak to someone and was told that quality is best on tape and then next on Harddrive. Hardrive is easy to put on computer for editing and then burn to DVD (for giving out)

Problem is find a quality machine ($5-600 range) with better than average sound and a microphone jack.......

Can anyone weigh in on this with a few options???

Thanks

Collapse -
There several recent posts that
by boya84 / October 22, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

point to the Canon ZR800. This will leave you with adequate funding to get a decent external mic, too - perhaps an Audio-Technica stereo mic (AT-822)... or one from NRG Research... Get a good tripod and sturday case and extra rechargable battery, too... and a mic stand... and you'll need a FireWire port for your computer if it does not already have one... and a FireWire cable.

The person who told you that miniDV tape provides the best available video quality was correct. As for audio quality, you need to get the mic close to the audio source.

I suggest you experiment with that mic distance. The lower-end cameras do not have manual audio controls. and if you are too close, the audio can be distorted - to far, and the room boominess will be icky.

Collapse -
Though... A field recorder like on from M-Audio
by boya84 / October 22, 2007 12:09 PM PDT

Marantz could do the audio only and be added to your video during the editing process... It is easy to do...

Collapse -
Not quite sure about the canon zr800.
by EsmeH / October 23, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

I did some research on that model and it seems to get an 'ok' rating for a camera under $300. I can spend a bit more ($5-600), but what else is there with a mic output that has good quality picture, sound, stabilization and low light capabilities?

thanks

Collapse -
Since you increased the budget,
by boya84 / October 23, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

Sony DCR-HC96 with a Sony proprietary mic for the proprietary "active interface" shoe (or a Sony active interface cable adapter from B&H Photo for any mic with a 1/8" plug or an XLR adapter for better mics).

As for stabilization - I strongly suggest you use a tripod or monopod - typically, normal people cannot hold a camera steady while capturing video with a hand-held camcorder for very long (as in less than 5 minutes).

When your child performs, is it on stage? Is that stage lit? If so, that means the audience is in the dark (low light) but the subject (the performer) is lit - so you may not necessarily need "good low light capabilities"...

Collapse -
OK, down to CanonHG10 vs Sony HC96????
by EsmeH / October 25, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

As both of these cameras seem to be among the few (in the 5-600 range)with separate microphone ability, I need to choose.

I like the sound of the Sony, but the Canon does a bit better in the reviews...anyone want to weigh in on an opinion??

thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
You are comparing a high definition camera (Canon HG10)
by boya84 / October 25, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

to a standard definition camera - Sony DCR-HC96. Nearly like comparing oranges and peaches.

I can't recommend the Canon HG10...
1) it is a hard drive based camcorder;
2) when it shoots in high def, it uses AVCHD compression.
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9746777-1.html?tag=blog.1

If you are going to go the high definition route, check the Canon HV20 instead.

Alert on HD video:
One hour of standard definition video takes about 11 gig - 13 gig of space on your hard drive when imported. High Definition takes 3x-4x more space (~35 gig)... How much available hard drive space do you have - or are you planning to get another drive for your computer?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.