Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PLEASE HELP ME1111 A VIRUS HAS BEEN PUT ON MY SYSTEM

by mamajenn / November 21, 2005 10:10 PM PST

I just went to my email and had a message on Nov. 21, 2005 from (mail@fbi.gov was logged.) I debated about opening this message and started not to until I scrolled down and on Nov. 22, 2005 I had a message from (Admin@cia.gov You visit illegal websites) Well, the only sites I go to are quicken, cnet, dell, research shopping, citi, etc. You get the idea. I don't go to illegal websites. Anyway, curisosity got the best of me so I opened the email from the fbi. This was the message.
(We have logged your IP address on more than 30 illegal websites. Important: Please answer our questions. List of questions are attached. Yours faithfully, Steven Allison 935 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Room 3220 Washington, DC 20535 Phone (202)324-9000)
I called the number but did not get an answer.
My AVG message:
(Virus found. File list 469.zip Virus Identified I-Worm/Sober.CFR
Attachment moved to virus vault)

I think I have been conned. I don't think the message was from the FBI but a person putting a virus on my system. What do I do? Do I contact the FBI? Do I leave the virus in the vault or do a reformat to make sure that it is gone. How can I prevent someone from doing this? I have never had this to happen so I am frantic and scared. Please tell me what I need to do about this mess. I know that all of the computer geniuses can halp a grandmother. Please help me. MamaJenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE HELP ME1111 A VIRUS HAS BEEN PUT ON MY SYSTEM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE HELP ME1111 A VIRUS HAS BEEN PUT ON MY SYSTEM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FBI
by Alan Copeland / November 21, 2005 10:17 PM PST

This is a hoax, the FBI has been warning people not to open the attachment. If AVG caught it, you are probably OK. I always delete viruses, but that is your call.

Collapse -
Here is a link for a brief news article
by roddy32 / November 21, 2005 10:24 PM PST
Collapse -
A simple survival rule
by dawillie / November 21, 2005 11:14 PM PST
'How can I prevent someone from doing this? I have never had this to happen so I am frantic and scared'.

Do not let curiosity get the better of you and open mail you know you did not generate, or are expecting a response to.

For example you get an email saying 'please have a look at my resume'.

You do not open this unless you were putting out a call for resumes.

Virus writers like to appeal to one's ego and unless it was something you were expecting a response to, delete the email, empty your deleted items basket to the recycle bin and empty it.

Also, if AVG or any other AV removes something to the 'vault' please do not second guess their collective expertise.

Just clear the vault.
Collapse -
Reply from Mamajenn
by mamajenn / November 22, 2005 12:37 AM PST

Thanks for all your advice. A little voice told me not to open it but the open little devil made me do it. Oh well, I learned my lesson. I am going to delete the file as I do not like for a virus to be anywhere on the computer. Thanks again, MamaJenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome MamaJenn :)
by roddy32 / November 22, 2005 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Reply from Mamajenn
Collapse -
Here is the alert from our tech department
by PudgyOne / November 23, 2005 11:19 PM PST

Here is the alert from our tech department

Everyone,

There are email messages being sent to (our Business name here) staff members that contain viruses. The following is a list of 3 types of emails that contain viruses and the action to take:

1. If you receive an email that states that it?s from the FBI with the subject header 'You Visit Illegal Websites,' just delete it. If there's an attachment, don't open it. The FBI warned today that phony messages are circulating in its name once again containing a variant of a malicious virus. The mail may look as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam,

we have logged your IP-address on more than 40 illegal Websites.

Important: Please answer our questions!
The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,
M. John Stellford

Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 2130
Washington, DC 20535
(202) 324-3000

2. If you receive an email that has the subject header 'Registration Confirmation,' just delete it. If there's an attachment, don't open it. Again, the attachment contains a variant of a malicious virus. The mail may look as follows:

Protected message is attached!

***** Go to: http://www.hotmail.com

***** Email: postman@hotmail.com

3. Lastly, if you receive an email that states that has the subject header ?Your Password,' just delete it. If there's an attachment, don't open it. Again, the attachment contains a variant of a malicious virus. The mail may look as follows:

Subject: Your Password

Account and Password Information are attached!

Please delete all suspicious as described and avoid opening the attachments.

Regards,

Collapse -
From MamaJenn again
by mamajenn / November 22, 2005 12:40 AM PST

Do I delete the files or empty the vault? I have never had to do this before. Thanks, Jen

Collapse -
Get rid it
by Maisie663 / November 23, 2005 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: From MamaJenn again

Delete it!! Don't open any strange emails, only if deffinately know who it is and even then sometimes they can make it sound like it from someone you know--I always feel Out Look is more vulnerable, so I use Yahoo but that is just me. Good Luck

Collapse -
Sorry I'm late to this party, MamaJenn
by davidldawson / November 25, 2005 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: From MamaJenn again

You've received good advice. Concerning AVG, when you choose 'Empty Virus Vault', AVG deletes ALL files located in the virus vault from your computer; when you choose 'delete file(s)', AVG deletes only the file or files that you have selected for deletion from the virus vault; leaving any unselected files still in the virus vault.

Also, next time place any emails like the one in question in your email's SPAM container, to at least keep this sender's address from plaguing your inbox.

Concerning the most important virus/worm/spyware/etc. protection software, your brain, your thought processes were very good (but in the end, you let your apprehension about those three letter acronyms, i.e., FBI, CIA, spook you (no pun intended):

Remember, though, if your email sounds questionable, it probably is, even if the email states it is from the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. These organizations rarely, if not never, inform people of their wrongdoing by email.

Second, play it safe, delete such email messages, or place them in the spam box. If perchance, you accidently delete a really important message, there is a very high chance that the organization that sent the email will repeatedly attempt to contact you by phone, or at the very least, by sending you an email requesting that YOU contact THEM by phone.

Best

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.