Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy

help i have a program that will load on old sysyem but wont load on winxp it refuses to recognise floppy ...is there any conversion , transfer, drivers anything to make this work please please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy

In reply to: please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy

Dazzler,
Have you checked the compatibility of the program with XP? Some old programs won't work with it. There's also a possibility that the program can be upgraded to a higher version.
I suggest you go to the manufacturer's site, see if there are updated drivers for the program.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -

Your message is missing important pieces of info. For example:

- Can you read other diskettes on XP floppy drive ?

- Can you copy the diskette into another PC's hard drive (example windows 9Cool. If so, use a new formatted floppy diskette copy from windows 98 hard drive the files you saved and try again on windows XP.

Of course that other scenarios could be possible, but your message is short in details except whining.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

Dazzler,

I have the same problem over here in Norway. I tried to go into 1) my advanced CMOS and enable the floppy drive seek 2) Make sure my first boot ws to the IDE-0 3)Cut all unnecessary start up programs 4) unplug the floppy drive ribbon connection cables and force Windows XP to recognize a new hardware when I re-booted 5) Went to my device manager and try to get it to locate any new hardware.

None of these things worked for me unfortunately. Let me know if through your experimenting you find something that corrects the problem. I have tried everything I know. I also have a A+ certified friend who is going to write me with suggestions I hope to help me out. If they work I will let you know. Otherwise you can contact me at my e-mai address:
gineme at online.no
Good luck,
Jesse

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy

Generally speaking, you should open a new thread for your problem. Why ? Because yours could be different than the original poster.

Examples of floppy related problems:

1. Floppy drive isn't recognized during BIOS POST.

2. Floppy drive is recognized during BIOS POST, but can't read a bootable diskette.

3. Floppy drive is recognized during BIOS POST, can read a bootable diskette but doesn't read it in windows XP.

4.. Floppy drive shows in windows XP Device Manager and it's no able to read any diskette in Explorer.

5. Floppy drive shows in windows XP Device Manager and it's no able to read some diskettes in Explorer.

6. Floppy drive shows in Device Manager but the letter doesn't show in Explorer.

?

The examples can go on.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: please help me.....winxp wont recognise floppy

It found mine fine after I turned my 40 pin cable over... Is in listed in Bios as the first Boot Device..??

Collapse -

Windows XP in most cases will not run old programs. You need to find a Windows XP compatible program. Some times the vendor of the old program has updated to a new Windows XP compatible program. Sometimes the programs are so old that the vendor will not upgrade--not enough demand. Check the old program vendors web site for new updated program.

thanks
tom elkins

Collapse -

Dazzler,

Also go to my earlier post(page 3 or 4) on my problems with the floppy drive. Someone named CursorCowboy left me some great articles to read...they MIGHT help you further in case the floppy drive swap disabling does not work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.